Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Request for Documentation: How to migrate FC-AL arrays to a switch zone.

Hi, I need documentation for hints on how to zone up storage arrays which were previously on arbitrated loops.

Switch: (Brocade 200E)
Server: (Sun E2900)
Array:  (StorageTek 3510s + JBODs).

(Partial Output from 'switchshow')
  7   7   id    N4   Online           F-Port  10:00:00:00:c9:57:cd:8f
  8   8   id    N2   Online           L-Port  2 public
  9   9   id    N2   Online           L-Port  2 public
10  10   id    N2   Online           L-Port  2 public
11  11   id    N2   Online           L-Port  2 public
12  12   --    N4   No_Module        (No POD License) Disabled

These arrays were previously directly attached to the server, but have since had their data evacuated and refibred up to the switch. I wanted to do WWN-based zoning methodology, but port-based zoning seems the only option as I cannot see the WWNs attached to the port (above).

It's imaging it a big subject, and I'd like to do some reading round it, but I have not found relevent strategies on google about this. Does anyone have any links or 'search expressions' which have yeilded more favourable hits?

Additionally, how would I be able to identify all the WWNs on the loop on ports8-11?

Occasional Contributor

Re: Request for Documentation: How to migrate FC-AL arrays to a switch zone.

To get the ports to log in to the switch, you need to change the port setting on the array from FC-AL to Point-to-Point and enable Fabric connection.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Request for Documentation: How to migrate FC-AL arrays to a switch zone.

Rats,

So, there's no way to allow a switch to use poin-to-point and FC-AL in a mixed mode fashion? I already have data on the 3510s that I wanted to preserve.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook