Fibre Channel (SAN)

dj1
Contributor

Replacing an FC8-64 port blade in HP DC SAN Backbone Director Switch.

Hi,

We have discovered a faulty port on one of our FC8-64 port blades which requires that we replace the blade.

Can anyone advise on the procedure for and any gotcha's in replacing this blade.

Our plan is to install the new blade in an adjacent slot and move the sfps across from the faulty one.

Do I need to run the "swap Blade" function in DCFM or is it enough just to move the sfps and then remove the old blade?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

D

Valued Contributor

Re: Replacing an FC8-64 port blade in HP DC SAN Backbone Director Switch.

This will require extra work on the hosts side, in case if some of the "moved" ports are attached to storage devices, accessed by AIX and/or HPUX hosts from any other part of the same fabric. Other OSes might also get a bit confused and require some manual intervention to recover access to the "moved" targets. IMHO, replacing the blade in the same slot would be a lot cleaner. However I understand how difficult it would be for this kind of blade, especially if it is fully populated...

Not sure why you mention DCFM for a hardware replacement...

Super Contributor

Hi,

if all admins in this environment knows this "swap" it is ok but it can cause confusion later if it is the only blade which is configure with bladeswap.

Replacing is strainght forward. Disable the portcard with slotpoweroff. make sure that all cables have a propper label. unplug all cables. Replace the card. I would power on the blade without SFPs insight. After the card has been finished the init process insert the SFP and cables.

Thats all.

There is a guide for this process as well at Brocade.com

Andreas

dj1
Contributor

Thanks for the reply's.

I am new to DCFM and noticed this option thought it might be require when replacing a blade.

Due to the density  we are planning to use this opportunity to move this blade to a different slot.

Currently we have two 48 port blades in slot 1 and 2 and two 64port blades is slots 3 and 4. All blades are about 90% full so cable management and replacement is difficult. Our plan was to insert the replacement blade in slot 9 or 10, for example, and move all the sfp's and cables over then remove the faulty blade.

Where can I get the replacement procedure?

Thanks again for your time.

D

dj1
Contributor

Hi,

What is the purpos of the BladeSwap function in DCFM?

Thanks

Super Contributor

Swaps the area numbers for matching port pairs of two blades.   

Use this command to swap the area numbers for matching port pairs of two blades. All ports must qualify for swapping for this command to succeed. It validates that the blades in the indicated slots are of the same type, have the same number of ports, and that the port pairs are in the same partition.

Regards,

Andreas

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook