Fibre Channel (SAN)

Regular Visitor

Replace singlemode ISL with multimode

I have two 6510 switches running 7.4.1d in Test.  They are connected via DWDM, 2 ports trunked @ 8GB over a 40KM link. I want to remove these long distance ISLs and replace with shorter multimode fibre, as the switches are 2m away from each other. 

Is the best way to do this to connect 2 multimode ports then remove the other Trunk?  Will the new ports automatically register as E-ports? Will the trunk form automatically?  I may need to back the speed off to 8GB, it may come up at 16.  Do I need to worry about buffer credits with short distance?

Thanks.

Brocade Moderator

Re: Replace singlemode ISL with multimode

Hello,

Yes you can remove 1 port from from DWDM, place multimode fiber with multimode SFPs on each side the switches. The ports will come up as e-port and will not form a trunk with the previous one as distance is different.

The best will be you change the configuration for those 2 ports for use standard short distance instead of long distance.

If you want to change speed from 8G to 16G, just change the speed on both side of the switches for concerned ports.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.