Fibre Channel (SAN)

External Moderator
Accepted Solution

Re: Changing IP address for 2499-384 running FOS 7.3

[ Edited ]

Hi, usually change IP address don't have any impact to FC traffic, however for short time during the ipaddrset procedure the CP are not redundant.

keep in mind, if the DCX is discovered into the BNA with the current IP address, you must remove from BNA and discover again.

finally, for sure I would do the IP change from management Serial console and not from Remote.

BTW, I moved you post in correct Forum.

TechHelp24
Contributor

Changing IP address for 2499-384 running FOS 7.3

I have a need to change the IP addresses for my two SAN switches.  Both are part of the same SAN and are used for redundancy.  The requirement is to move the mgmt IP so I'm wondering if that would only be the chassis IP?, or also the two CP IP's?  To be honest we use Network Advisor to manage the SAN but the switch IP can be used if needed. 

And I'm also assuming that I'd just use the ipaddrset -chassis (and/or -cp) command just follow the prompts?

Also, will changing the IP cause an outage or should all traffic just reroute thru the second switch and be transparent to end users?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Contributor

Thank you for your feedback/response.  Just curious, what is the benefit of making the change on the service port rather then making it via a remote putty session?  Thank you for your assistance.

External Moderator

Hi,

nothing of benefit, excepted i.e. a telnet sessions get lost or in very rare circumstance the Active CP cannot get in HA with the Standby CP, or for some reason you should don't have access when you set the chassis IP.

is not mandatory to execute the command "ipaddrset" trough a Console Port, but myself I would prefered in a productive environments to do this from, instead trough remote.

TechHelp24
Contributor

Thanks for your help Antonio!  The IP change was made without issue.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.