Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

REPLACING 2005-16B SWITCHES WITH 6505

We currently have 6 San Switches 2005-16B (IBM San Brocade).

These are no longer supported by IBM so I have ordered 2 new IBM 2498-24F (Brocade 6505).

My current SAN details are-

The current 2005 switches are running version v6.1.1b zone configuration exists.

1. New Switches are running 7.0.2a. no effective configration in effect.
  2. Currently each server/device connects to 2005 switches for failover.
  3. I would like to introduce new switches to fabric, move zone configuration to new switches and then move all cabling to it
    ultimately remove old switches.

Can I introduce new switches to the fabric, and apply current zone configuration to new switches?

If so then do i also need to change Role on switches Principal/subordinate etc?

Super Contributor

Re: REPLACING 2005-16B SWITCHES WITH 6505

Greetings todoerr.  If you review the following, it will give you a high level of what you are attempting.

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/FOS_AG_710/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=zone.17.13.html

Q:  "Can I introduce new switches to the fabric, and apply current zone configuration to new switches?"

A: Yes.  The first line from the link about states "When a new switch is added to the fabric, it automatically takes on the zone configuration information from the fabric."

Q:  "If so then do i also need to change Role on switches Principal/subordinate etc?"

A:  No.  The principal switch election is an automated process and typically doesn't need to be altered. 

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
New Contributor

Thanks for info Mike. I was able to connect new switches to old, and Zone config has been applied to new switches. Had to change Domain ID to get it see zone.

On the older 200516b/ 200e Brocade new switches show segmented but on new switches the old show as Fabric and not Segemented. My guess is because they are running firmware 6.1.1b, latest download for them IBM supports listed as 6.2.2f.

Submitted a case with IBM for confirmation.

My next question is in theroy at this point I should be able take devices connected to old switch and move to the new since zone config applied to new switches?

Super Contributor

That is correct.

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook