Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Question on adding transceivers to 4100

Hello.  I inherited the management of two old EMC DS-4100B (Brocade Silkworm 4100) SAN switches.  Sixteen ports (on each) are in use.  There are 16 remaining ports on each switch (with no transceivers) and I would like to connect more servers into those ports.  What I'd like to know is whether I just need to buy FC transceivers or do I also need to buy "licenses" to actually get there ports to work?  Will simply plugging in additional transceivers be enough?  I've downloaded the manual for the switch but I didn't find anything helpful on this. Sorry for the newbie question and thank you in advance for any help.

Super Contributor

Re: Question on adding transceivers to 4100

Log as admin trough telnet and execute the command "licenseshow" to list all installed LIC

if the switch is only licensed for 16 port you must first purchase additional POD license in order to use the other free port.

New Contributor

Thanks for the response.  I've actually done that previously and that added to my confusion because I expected to see "port" licenses and didn't see any.  Here's the output of the licenseshow command (intentionally garbled):

LD1KYSAN1:admin> licenseshow
yRxxxxxxxxxxxeo:
    Web license
Rzxxxxxxxxxxxx0F:
    Zoning license
SyxxxxxxxxxxxxRT:
    Fabric license
LD1KYSAN1:admin>

New Contributor

In reading everything I could find about the EMC Connectrix DS-4100B it looks like I will need an upgrade license.  My question now is do I need specifically an "EMC" rebadged license or can I use a generic Brocade part number BRC-XBR-MIDRPOD-0001?

Super Contributor

By default only 16 Port are Licensed, also you need to urchase a POD License to activate other Port.

--->>>....(intentionally garbled):

License are unique by SWITCH WWN, and cannnot be used for another Switch.

Which i want to say, is not necessary to spend your time and edited License Number.

--->>> My question now is do I need specifically an "EMC" rebadged license or can I use a generic Brocade part number BRC-XBR-MIDRPOD-0001?

Brocade Native Part Number can be used to place a Order.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook