Fibre Channel (SAN)

N/A

Question about zoning

Hello,

I have inherited 2 Brocade 48K switches. I am familiar with Cisco line of fabric switches and fibre channel in general but have never used the Brocade brand. The zoning is already setup on these switches and I need to make a new san available to the existing zones. I have read through some of the documentation, but wanted to confirm the general steps here: create an alias (if desired), and add said alias to the existing zones, active the zoneset.

Some of my questions are:

Will this cause any disruption of traffic which would require a maintenance window?

Would it be more beneficial to add the san to each zone then activate the zoneset to minimize zone update messages or just do what needs to be done and activate once the affected zones have had the new member installed?

Any links specific documentation or sections in the general admin guide would be appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

Regular Contributor

Re: Question about zoning

Hi,

generally the recommendation is to have one initiator per zone. Some even advice one inititator one target.

It's often not recommended to have different storage arrays in the same zone, unless you will have replication or something like that.

If you're adding a new storage-device, it's a bit safer to create a new zone with a server and the new device.

Creating a new zone, adding members to a zone, activating zone configs is non-disruptive.

In the admin guide there is the "Administering Advanced Zoning" section, it looks pretty extensive to me.

Commands:

alicreate

zonecreate

configshow

cfgadd

cfgenable

cfgshow

New Contributor

Sorry to revive a dead thread (not answered, tho), but I have a similar situation. I have never set up zoning and am a perfect example of how zoning is completely unneeded I think. I am planning on implementing zoning as we are bringing in a new 3PAR into our existing fabric containing 7 hosts and a P2000 G3. My point is that all our hosts have been running for over 2 years on 2 Brocade slkwrm 300 switches. I just learned about zoning and am trying to figure out what use it can be to our systems if any.

None of the guides I've read describe just what it does aside from containing traffic from a host to a SAN. I can see where it would be useful for a SAN split between Unix, virtual and Windows systems, but for me, 7 Windows hosts all connect to the SAN anyways. All they see is the SAN. What does zoning a host port WWN to the SAN port WWN do for me besides create an extremely complex fibre config.

Valued Contributor

IF you know your posting in an old thread, consider opening a new one next time.

Zoning is implemented to resemble a SCSI bus as closely as possible.

That's why you'll see some folks are in favor of single initiator-multiple targets zone.

I believe Brocade's best practice also states something about zoning.

New Contributor

I posted here because the OP's question was not answered or at least it is labeled as 'not answered', so hopefully it will help others and require one less thread.

I am reading through the Brocade documentation and they do recommend no fabric zoning in situations like mine where it is tightly controlled and LUN masking is deployed, both of which fit my scenario. Not sure of the OP's scenario... whether or not he has multiple environments.

Valued Contributor

I posted here because the OP's question was not answered or at least it is labeled as 'not answered', so hopefully it will help others and require one less thread.

So you thought about it, which is fair enough.

However keep in mind that you cannot assign point to a helpful/correct answer or that you cannot mark it as answered.

Only the OP can do that and this particular user hasn't been active for over a year.

So in the end your and his question maybe answered but if the OP doesn't mark it as answered no one will benefit besides you.

That said if you want to continue without zoning you can as it is not mandatory.

However I would implement zoning on a single initiator/single target principle.

This will keep unnecessary communication between hosts and or arrays in check.

Please beware that should you desire to implement zoning to do i for everything in the fabric you're implementing.

Reason is you're current config is zoned. It's not a zone you've created with command stated in

But it's running a special kind of zone which allows all nodes to communicate which is other without additional zoning.

This mode is called "default all access".

But when you activate your first zone, "default all access" is deactivated and you need to zone everything fro that point onwards (or revert your changes).

New Contributor

Point taken and wow, thanks for the explanation. That is exactly the type of answer I have been searching for. I really appreciate your response, dion.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Np

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook