Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Question about licenses

Hi, I have some questions about brocade licenses. Here is my environment:

PRODUCTION:

Ibm bladecenter with 2 Qlogic 4gb*6ports FC switches, One HP MSA2000FC storage system and one IBM DS3400 FC storage System.

TEST:

Ibm bladecenter with 2 Brocade 2gb*2ports FC switches, one Brocade 3850 2gb SAN switch, two HP MSA1000 storage system.

We have two problems: we have finished all available ports in the Qlogic switch of the production environment and we have to interconnect PRODUCTION and TEST.

We have 2 brocade 3250 FC switches but the problem is that they do not have the full fabric license, so we cannot use them... The 3850, instead, has the full fabric licenses.

Our intention is to buy 4 used brocade 200E 4gb * 16ports switches, 2 for PRODUCTION and 2 for TEST, but many sellers do not specify if the full fabric license is included.... One of them replied to me that full fabric license is standard if I upgrade to firmware 6.x  Is this really true????

Second question: it would be very useful to (excuse me if I use networking terminology) create a "trunk" between the Qlogic and the Brocade 200E in order to have more "bandwidth". But because they are different vendors I can't find if it's possible and if I have to buy special licenses....

Is there someone who can help me?

Many many many thanks in advance

External Moderator

Re: Question about licenses

No matter which FOS release is loaded, License are mandatory if needed.

Brocade 200 is EOL and EOS, and Brocade not longer offer License Upgrade.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

That's why I'm asking in the forum. I would like to know what is the feature that I need to connect 3 or more switches (in the past it was "full fabric" license, I do now know if it's still that the name) and if this license comes standard in FabricOS 6.x or not.

External Moderator

Giuseppe,

--->>>........and if this license comes standard in FabricOS 6.x or not.

Fabric License is NOT as per Default/Standard or Native Included.

Fabric License is Optional and/or included in Enterprise License Bundle.

From Command Line, "licenseshow" command give the output all installed License.

BTW, since you want to ISL with QLogic Switch, is probable ( if Fabric License is available ) you have made wrong settings in both Brocade and QLogic.

Search here in the Community for Interop-Mode or NPIV in order to Build a Fabric with different Switch vendors.

TechHelp24
External Moderator

About,

--->>>Second question: it would be very useful to (excuse me if I use networking terminology) create a "trunk"

Trunking is correct definition, you need same as the Fabric License by Brocade called Trunking License.

QLogic support called "Adaptive Trunking" in NEW Switch Generation, Blade switch As fair as I Remember Trunking is not Available. By some QLogic OEM McDATA Blade Switch the Feature is called Open Trunking.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook