Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Question about fillword

I have 2 fabrics each has a 48000 and a DCX.  My question is do all ports that show 8gb rquire the fillword set to 3?  servers and storage devices both.  also does the fillword apply to silkworm 300's?
thanks for any info....

Suzi

jsg
Occasional Contributor

Re: Question about fillword

Do a sampling on your 8gb ports with a portstatsshow,  if you see a high count in  the er_bad_os (Invalid ordered set), you will probably need to do perform a portcfgfillword.   Please remember the command is disruptive to the port.  I don't which FOS you are running, so you perform a help portcfgfillword and see what options are available.

Occasional Contributor

oops sorry v6.4.1b

Occasional Contributor

ok thanks and yes i do see an extremely high number in the port where my storage is.  Thanks for your help.

Valued Contributor

Hi,

You have to modify the fillword when the port is working at 8G, it does not matter if the switch is a DCX, 48K or a 300. When using 8G ports, you'll usually have to a value of '3' as the fillword, otherwise you'll see er_bad_os counter continously increasing, since the switch is expecting a specific fillword and the host is sending a different one.

Kind regards,

Felipon

Contributor

Originally the portcfgfillword 3 command was used when you had Q-Logic 8G HBA's. Over time we have found that any 8G ports needs to have the mode changed to prevent errors for both HBA and storage array ports.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook