Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Promoting a Brocade 300 to Principal Switch

Hello,

My current environment has 7 switches (1 AllZone, 3 Fab A, 3 Fab B) and I plan on retiring some of the older switches and want to make sure I do this without interrupting our production environment.

Here is my current environment:

AllZone

Brocade 3250 - Switch 0, Principal with Domain ID 1 running v5.3.0d     (Remove)  Not really used for anything at this point.

Fabric A

Brocade 200E - Switch 3, Principal with Domain ID 14 running v5.3.0d     (Remove)

Brocade 200E - Switch 2, Subordinate with Domain ID 13 running v5.1.0d     (Remove)

Brocade 300 - Switch 12, Subordinate with Domain ID 12 running v6.4.1     (Promote)

Fabric B

Brocade 3250 - Switch 1, Principal with Domain ID 2 running v5.1.0d     (Remove)

Brocade 200E - Switch 4, Subordinate with Domain ID 4 running v5.3.0d     (Remove)

Brocade 300 - Switch 12, Subordinate with Domain ID 12 running v6.4.1     (Promote)

I would like to promote switch 11 and 12 to principals and back out of the other switches.  Can you please help me with how I should go about doing this?

My understanding is I can promote my newest switches (11 and 12) using the command "fabricprincipal -f 1" but I want to make sure that this does not interrupt production.  If I use the "fabricprincipal -f 1" command to promote 11 and 12, should I then remove the ISL links and just remove the older switches or is there something else I should be doing?

Also I understand that if a switch is removed without using the "fabricprincipal -f 1" command it will promote the lowest WWN in the fabric...is this correct?  If that is the case can I just remove all zones and mappings to the old switches and then power down one on each side till only 11 and 12 are left?

Thank you for any suggestions or feedback :-)

Valued Contributor

Re: Promoting a Brocade 300 to Principal Switch

I would  like to promote switch 11 and 12 to principals and back out of the other  switches.  Can you please help me with how I should go about doing  this?

My  understanding is I can promote my newest switches (11 and 12) using the  command "fabricprincipal -f 1" but I want to make sure that this does  not interrupt production.  If I use the "fabricprincipal -f 1" command  to promote 11 and 12, should I then remove the ISL links and just remove  the older switches or is there something else I should be doing?

fabricprincipal is indeed the command to use. It should not interrupt IO when executed.

Also I understand that if a switch is removed without using the  "fabricprincipal -f 1" command it will promote the lowest WWN in the  fabric...is this correct?

Yes, when a principal gets removed or segments from the fabric. the new principal will be elected based on the lowest wwn

If that is the case can I just remove all  zones and mappings to the old switches and then power down one on each  side till only 11 and 12 are left?

Thank you for any suggestions or feedback :-)

Yes your suggestion should work and would result in a single domain fabric with the 300 as only switch.

Super Contributor

Re: Promoting a Brocade 300 to Principal Switch

If you want to change the fabricpricipal switch you need the forece option of the suggested command.

This will fore a Fabric rebuild this is a disruptive task.

Due to the time of FabricBuild no traffic will flow through the fabric.

I think don't care about the

fabricPrincipal switch. The number of switches is low and the number of devices as well.

I suggest that you check your running FOS codes on the switches. Please review the release note for FOS 6.4.1. You will find the supported FOS for the different switch types.

I hope this helps,

Andreas

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook