Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Problem with Brocade 815 direct attached to storage

I have an IBM server with 2 single port Brocade FC cards (815) running Windows 2008 R1 x64.  Each card is directly attached to a separate controller on an IBM storage solution (DS3512.)  When the DS3512 is reset, the cards connect to the storage solution and stay connected, but when the server is rebooted, the cards do not reconnect to the controllers on the DS3512.  The bcu ports command indicates the links are up, and the 8GB light is illuminated on the 815 cards.  However, the link lights on the DS3512 are dark and the bcu rports command reports no remote ports.  Resetting the controllers on the DS3512 restores connectivity.  Accessing the HCM software, I see I am getting base port lost fabric connectivity messages.  I don't know if these message matter, because I am direct attached to the storage.    Any ideas what may be causing this?

Super Contributor

Re: Problem with Brocade 815 direct attached to storage

We have discussed this before

http://community.brocade.com/thread/4661

Direct connect is not supported @ 8 Gbps - Try setting the speed to 4 Gbps and see if it works.

New Contributor

Setting the speed to 4GB functions as a work-around to the problem.  Thank you for your help.

New Contributor

Is this documented anywhere for sure that an 815 will not support 8gb in a direct attcahed setting?

Super Contributor

It does support pt-pt topology, so in my opinion you can connect arrays with 8 Gbps ports and with fill word as ARBF directly to the HBA.

But these cases are different.

Note that there is no command on the BCU to change the fill word on a Brocade HBA.

From the Installation and Reference manual

Using Brocade HBAs you can connect a server (host system) to a Fibre Channel SAN in switched
fabric and point-to-point topologies.
This means that you can form an N port with the HBA but not an NL port.
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I understand about the ptp connection. But like many others the only way I cna get anyof my 815's to connect to an IBM san like a ds3512 is to manually set the HBA's to 4gb. What other options would you have without the ability to set the fillword on an HBA other than a possilbe firmware update or something frob Brocade.

New Contributor

Hi.

We are facing the same problem that dbryan has. We have two IBM systemX 3650 M3 servers each one with brocade 825 adapters. This servers are directly connected (FC) to a DS3512. In both servers we have the error "Adapter 1/0 Link initialization failed. Disabling BIOS" as shown in the first image (17052011.jpg). The error ocurrs for both ports and both adapters and rear ligths either from the DS of from the HBAs are all off.

We have tried manually setting the speed to 8GB and 4GB without success. Also, upgraded both cards firmwares to 2.3.0, changed SFPs on HBAs and on the DS3512 side ensuring to use Brocade SFPs.

We booted BCU and we got the following errors (shown on 26052011.jpg):

"bfa_aen_port_disconnect: base port (wwn = 10:00:00:05:33:48:d6:f4) lost fabric connectivity"

When we were upgrading the brocade firmware (via BCU) we started to play with the adapters configuration and at some point we could see the DS but when we left BCU and rebooted the server the problem was still there. When we could see the DS the lights in the ports were on and we configured the HBAs to use p2p topology and 8GB speed.

Is there any configuration setting that doesn´t persists when we left BCU ?

From the adapters manual p2p topology is supported and we verified IBM SSIC and those cards are compatible with the DS.

Please help us to get this working.

Thanks in advance.

Contributor

Please see the attached word document for how to setup the Brocade BR-815 direct attach to the IBM DS3500. Please contact me directly after you have read and perform the required tasks.

Thanks.

Hoai

Contributor

Aberardi,

I just found out that the document is out-of-date! The correct "work-around" for this is to hard set the BR-815 at 4G mode. Brocade driver 3.x will fix this in 8G mode p2p connection; however, IBM is not going to support this driver until late August this year. Please contact me directly for more details.

Thanks.

hvu@brocade.com

New Contributor

Hi.

Unfortunately we already tried that through the Ctrl+B menu without success.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook