Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Portcfgfillword and 16Gb DCX 8510 and 6510 switch ports set to 8Gb

Hello,

We have a DCX8510 -4 switch and recently added a new 48port switch card.  Need to clean up cabling so plan to move cables from existing switch to new switch.  After moving one server's cable to the new switch (Windows 2012) the server's hba wouldn't check in and recevied messages the switch port changed its operation state to online/offline filling up the event log.

The port was set to N8 so decided to lock it down to 8 and the hba checked in.

Is ths normal behavior or does this have to do with the host configuration (i.e. drivers etc)

I also read about the command "portcfgfillword" for 8GB switch and wondered if it applied here but also found that this doesn't apply to Gen 5 16GB switches

Thanks

Kathy

Valued Contributor

Re: Portcfgfillword and 16Gb DCX 8510 and 6510 switch ports set to 8Gb

Manual fillword configuration doesn't apply to 16G ASIC ports at all.

Manual fillword configuration only applies to 8G ASIC ports running at 8G/N8 speed. So if you are using previous generation DCX card in 8510 chassis (I know some of them are supported this way) then fillword setting might be applicable.

New Contributor

Thanks Alexey.

I guess my question is why the port which is configured for auto negotiate continuously changes its operationstate of offline/online when the cable is re-seated?

Valued Contributor

oh, i don't know... something is definitely wrong... you might try inserting the cable into the different port on the switch... btw, what is sfp showing as rx power when hba is plugged into the original problem port?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.