Fibre Channel (SAN)

szy
Occasional Contributor

Port errors

Hello,

This problem has been raise on couple of ocassions but never, I think, to the extent I have seen so far, that would fairly easily help to explain what pparticular combination of errros seen on a port would mean.

I have following situation, where port is seen in switchshow, but booting it into ESX effectively render it unusable (its a blade in Blade Center H, one of 14, and only this one is casuing issues, generating high volume of errors on counters).

:admin> porterrshow 12
           frames      enc    crc    crc    too    too    bad    enc   disc   link   loss   loss   frjt   fbsy  c3timeout    pcs
        tx     rx      in    err    g_eof  shrt   long   eof     out   c3    fail    sync   sig                  tx    rx     err
 12:    5.8k   3.3k   0      0      0      0      0      0      3.7k 499      8      7      0      0      0    499      0      0

I am not entirely sure how to interpret these.

As far as I can see, this is fairly unlikely to be a problem with fabric itself, and most of those problems would inidicate some sort of physical iussues with transport (i.e. fibre, patch panel, sfp, HBA in a blade, etc.).

Is there any web based error translator, which could help with identyfying problem based on the combination of errors coming up on port?

I tend to resolve my problems myself but am bit desparate and in this particular case, would it make sense to raise it with vendor support at all - in this case switch rather than blade (these are 5470s blade sweitches rebadged by IBM, running v7.4.1e)?

Thanks.

Regards,

Szy

Valued Contributor

Re: Port errors

[ Edited ]

No this looks more lake a bad physical problem. "Enc out" means encoding errors out of frames. Where is this port 12 located and what is connected to this port?

szy
Occasional Contributor

Hi Alexey,

Port is a part of Brocade 5470 blade switch with FOS 7.4.1e.(in Blade Center H chassis), with a IBM HS22 blade connected to it. This is internal port, part of the blade switch plugged into the chassis.

It seems that this issue exist on one fabric only (its OK on the similar switch on the other fabric).

Regads,

Szy

Valued Contributor

So this is a copper port and it reports seeing a lot of garbage from the connected HBA. BTW did you have a look into the HBA stats on the host?

You need to open a case with IBM (or Lenovo?) support. What they need to do is to check for all the current microcode levels and settings (e.g. fillword etc)

Then you'll be prompted to re-seat the blade into the chassis and sometimes this helps. If it wouldn't help, further they might perform step by step replacements of FC mezzanine, FC switch and even chassis midplane (full downtime of the entire chassis)

So this might be a long story...
Valued Contributor

Disc C3 means 499 frames were discarded and all 499 of them are in c3timout TX - which means HBA wasn't ready to accept them. So HBA is sending garbage and doesn't look responsive - but that might be simply because the RDYs it sends get corrupted and trashed. So I suspect that the copper link is guilty of all of this. If you have some freedom to play, you might also try swapping a couple of blade servers inside the chassis or between the chassis. You will see where errors stay or move. Or maybe they will clear at all, because sometimes just re-seating of the server will help.
szy
Occasional Contributor

Yes, this is a good tip indeed and moving blades around may show something (this, however gave me duplicated WWPNs last time we were trying it on two, adjacent blades, having problems with getting disabled ports back up, so fingers crossed wion't happen this time round Smiley Very Happy (from whatever reason, even if it was a coincidence, upgrading to 7.4.1e cured the problem)).

I shall crack on with it and let you know the outcome.
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Two things to look at:

1. Does the blade center have redundant 5470 switches?  If so check speed of that port on the other switch.  I have had HBA's going bad that caused a speed to go to N4 while the switch on the other side runs at n8. switchshow will show this.
  2. Check firmware level on HBA.  We've had issues with HBA firmware causing problems like this as well.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.