Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Port Base Or WWPN

Hello

In the past I was able to setup 4 Brocade 200-16B as 2 fabrics, with some help and advice from people on the brocade  community.

I now have to change  the 16B to 40B, I would like to know when I do the zoning. should I use port based or WWPN ?

I have looked at the Brocade Guide to Zoning, and this is rule 1

Type of zoning ( hard,Soft, Hardware Enforced, Soft Porting ) - If Security ia a Priority, then a hard Zone- Based Architecture coupled with

Hardware Enforcement is recommended.

is this still the case, If I go down the wwpn route I can see that the device can be plugged in anywhere and if will only connect to zone specified,

which would make things a bit easier in terms of you don't need to know which port, but if the main board in the server or San were to fail then the once reconnected it still will not connect until it has been added into the config.

If Port based is used whilst you would need to know what is plugged into where if the main board in the server or San was replaced it would not matter so long as it was plugged into the correct port ?

can someone advise me on this ?????

Regards

Occasional Contributor

Re: Port Base Or WWPN

You are correct. If you use WWPN, the server can connect to any switch port and still see it's storage. If you use port zoning, any server connected to the port will see the zone. However, if you use security on the array (LUN masking), changing the hba card on the server will require you to update the config on the array. I use WWPN zoning for my data SAN and port zoning for the tape SAN, since tape drives don't have security.

Super Contributor

Hi,

Both port no and wwpn zoning have their pros and cons. you can keep session based zoning i.e.(both wwpn and port no) , but the best practice is to keep one not the both. If your FOS is above 6.0 then you cna keep wwpn based zoning whether it is tape or storage

Contributor

hello and thank-you for the replies.

I will go with the wwn as this will make it a bit easier in that you do not need to know which port to plug the server / storage into adn as the servers / storage are in a secure area security is not a big problem.

Now the next bit.

I have configured two ports to be the ISL, if they are not trunked together will the ISL still trunk or provide some sort of load balancing ?

on the new 40B i have created a config ( test ) I then created 3 zones ( 1, 2 , 3 ) I then selected zone 1 and did add member adn added the 16 digit wwn number of a device, this was repeated again for a new member So I ended up with 3 devices in each zone, I then added the 3 zones to the config and activated, it all seemed ok.

My next question is to do with the info above,

If I use aliases do you create the aliase for each device and give it a pretty name ? but behind it is the wwn number ?

Does anyone have a simple config I can fire in to the switch to what the config ( via the GUI ) will look like ? this would help me to understand what I need to do.

many thanks for taking the time to look at my post

Regards

Phil

Super Contributor

Hi,

The sample CLI zoning is:

bcpcfg1 -Fab-1

alicreate "DCMS_AIX_DR_HBA1", "10:00:00:00:c9:80:f1:5e"
zonecreate "DCMS_AIX_DR_HDS9990", "DCMS_AIX_DR_HBA1; DR_HDS9990_7J"
zonecreate "DCMS_AIX_DR_Tape", "DCMS_AIX_DR_HBA1; Tape_1; Tape_2; Tape_3; Tape_4; Tape_5"
cfgadd "bcpcfg1", "DCMS_AIX_DR_HDS9990; DCMS_AIX_DR_Tape"

cfgsave
cfgenable "bcpcfg1"
=======================================

bcpcfg2 -Fab-2

alicreate "DCMS_AIX_DR_HBA2", "10:00:00:00:c9:80:f7:d9"
zonecreate "DCMS_AIX_DR_HDS9990", "DCMS_AIX_DR_HBA2; DR_HDS9990_8J"
zonecreate "DCMS_AIX_DR_Tape", "DCMS_AIX_DR_HBA2; Tape_1; Tape_2; Tape_3; Tape_4; Tape_5"
cfgadd "bcpcfg2", "DCMS_AIX_DR_HDS9990; DCMS_AIX_DR_Tape"

cfgsave
cfgenable "bcpcfg2"

====================================================================================================

Regarding trunking, you need trunking license on both the SWs. for trunking you have to connect the cables in a port group.

For ISL you need Fabric license atleast.

Trunking is the best option. But ISLs work individually.Traffic will be routed therough FSPF algorithm in individual ISL.

Trunking makes a logical pipe and traffic pass thorugh that logical fat pipe.

ISLs can not be trunked unless the trunking license is there. These will be ISL s.you have to keep an eye over the ISLs. If one fails then replace the one immediately , otherwise if the other fails , there will be interruption in Fabric.If one ISL fails, the traffic will flow thorugh the other.

If you find the answer correct pls correct it.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook