Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Port 1 Faulted because of many Link Failures

Hello,

We are using 2 Brocade 5470 switch for IBM Blade H chassis. One of the blade servers' HBA redundancy has been degraded suddenly. The only thing in the Brocade switchs logs is the warning message "Port 1 Faulted because of many Link Failures". I checked SAN side and WWN's are registered but not logged in for the second hba. As this server has only 1 Qlogic 8Gb CFFh expansion card i am not sure if it is HBA related because only one HBA  exist on the server and in the ESX console i can see that vmhba1 is working fine but vmhba2 is losing connection.(This means i cant see LUNs from second switch but first switch)

I reset counters but still i get link failuıres. I rescan HBA for in vCenter but no chance for this server.

brocade8Gb_ALT:root> portshow 1
portName: Bay1
portHealth: No Fabric Watch License

Authentication: None
portDisableReason: None
portCFlags: 0x1
portFlags: 0x24b03       PRESENT ACTIVE F_PORT G_PORT LOGICAL_ONLINE LOGIN NOELP LED ACCEPT FLOGI
portType:  18.0
POD Port: Port is licensed
portState: 1    Online  
portPhys:  6    In_Sync 
portScn:   1    Online   
port generation number:    376
portId:    010102
portIfId:    43020008
portWwn:   20:01:00:05:1e:fa:da:e8
portWwn of device(s) connected:
        21:00:00:24:ff:29:fb:07
Distance:  normal
portSpeed: N8Gbps

LE domain: 0
FC Fastwrite: OFF
Interrupts:        0          Link_failure: 42         Frjt:         0         
Unknown:           0          Loss_of_sync: 42         Fbsy:         0         
Lli:               228        Loss_of_sig:  0         
Proc_rqrd:         417        Protocol_err: 0         
Timed_out:         0          Invalid_word: 146747    
Rx_flushed:        0          Invalid_crc:  0         
Tx_unavail:        0          Delim_err:    0         
Free_buffer:       0          Address_err:  0         
Overrun:           0          Lr_in:        19        
Suspended:         0          Lr_out:       19        
Parity_err:        0          Ols_in:       19        
2_parity_err:      0          Ols_out:      19        
CMI_bus_err:       0        

How can i determine the root cause of this? Is the problem related to HBA adapter or Brocade switch or cabling. There is another host in the chassis and there is no problem with it. So i can say neither HBA nor switch is failed.

Valued Contributor

Re: Port 1 Faulted because of many Link Failures

As port1 is an internal port which is hardwired to a serverbay, the only option to exclude (internal) wiring, is to move the blade to another bay

As for troubleshooting try a portdisable 1;portenable 1  first, to force a Login.

I recently experienced a DOA which didn't login properly.

The wwn showed in the portshow command, but a nodefind against that wwn showed is was unknown if the device was a target or initiator and a portloginshow revealed the wwn but no registration for SCR's etc.

Perhaps you are experiencing the same

New Contributor

Re: Port 1 Faulted because of many Link Failures

Dion,

Thanks for your recommendations. As per VMware, it seems it is an ESX bug or something like that. I am giving the KB link as if any other VMware users have the same problem.

VMware KB: vHBAs and other PCI devices may stop responding in ESX/ESXi 4.1 and ESXi 5.0 when using Interrupt Remapping

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook