Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Planning for Brocade 2x5300 firmware upgrade from 6.2.1b and going to 6.3.2 and then to current 6.4.0b.

I would like to know, can it be done undistruptive upgrade ?

where can I get the procedure/manual for non distruptive upgrade ?

Appreciate your reply.

Super Contributor

Re: Planning for Brocade 2x5300 firmware upgrade from 6.2.1b and going to 6.3.2 and then to current 6.4.0b.

The code upgrade can be non disruptive for

1. Director class switches, since the failover time is approx 2 ms as opposed to 40-60 ms for pizza box switches. I normally do a controlled upgrade to ensure that all events happen as planned. The default method is to just run the firmwaredownload command which works for many a customer as well.

2. For resilient and redundant SAN's with properly configured multipath software.

Regards,

Biju Krishnan

TechHelp24

Email: bkrishnan@techhelp24.com

Site: www.techhelp24.com

Super Contributor

Re: Planning for Brocade 2x5300 firmware upgrade from 6.2.1b and going to 6.3.2 and then to current 6.4.0b.

The attached doc may help you. Also before upgrading the FOS, pls check the compatibility of HBA firmware and Microcode of storage sas well as multipathing SW . In extreme cases , some AIX machines behaves differently after doing FOS upgrade. First upgarde one Fabric and wait for 1 week and then upgarde the other fabric.  You can try it in ur UAT set up, if you have then in production.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook