Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

PID Binding Setting on AIX

Hi, All,

I have experianced where some of the AIX patch levels do need to rescan the disks after the cable swap to a different domain (for example consolidating switches) and some you dont need to do that and its all trasparent. This leads me to believe that some HBA drivers on AIX does the WWN PID binding or Dynamic PID binding where as may be the older HBA drivers uses static PID binding. Now the question I have is how can I check what binding it does uses currently. Also is there any document on HBA drivers that talks about the default PID binding mode.

Thanks in Adv.

Occasional Contributor

Re: PID Binding Setting on AIX

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Avandewerdt, The link was very helpfull and explains the PID in detail. Now the question I have is has any of you done testing on this. The document says the dynamic tracking when switched on (off by default) the devices could be moved the location within the same fabric and N-Port ID could be tracked if the change was perfomed within 15 seconds. Now if we have redundant fabrics there is no issue with the IO interruptions to the end device. If the time taken for the change is longer than 15 seconds would dynamic tracking still be able to track the device and update the PID entires in ODM, will the hdisk remain available or will it go disabled state and manual intervention is needed. If any of you have tested moving cables from one switch to another switch within the same fabric where the connected host is AIX has been able to perform the change online (over 15 sec) without any manual work on AIX?

Super Contributor

To which storage the HBAs are connected? if it is HITACHI, and you are putting the cable from one domain to another domain, you have to configure thorugh HDLM commands.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook