Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Open Fabric question

I have a fabric running a DCX with 2 McData 32M switches (Model 003232) in Open Fabric mode.  We are planning to disconnect one of the McDatas from the fabric but it is currently the  Principal switch in the fabric.  What steps should we take to make sure the remaining McData switch picks up as principal?  If we just disconnect the ISL will the other McData renegotiate to Principal?  Should we force the other switch to principal first and then disconnect the ISL's?

Thanks for the help!!

FYI McData EOS is 9.9.5 and the Brocade FOS is 6.3.2a

External Moderator

Re: Open Fabric question

Mark,

from Command Line, go in config mode, the correct command is.

"config switch priority principal"

Value to set the switch as principal is "1"

this should be set the non-principal switch as principal, and the principal you want to remove from the fabric as "default"

TechHelp24
New Contributor

From the McData switch?  The Brocade cannot be the Principal in an Open Fabric environment.

External Moderator

--->>>From the McData switch?

yes, you must execute the command from McDATA.

it is you question to set the second non-principal McDATA 3232 as pincipal, is correct ?

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Correct, the first McData is currently Principal and we are removing it so we need to make McData 2 the Principal before we remove McData 1.

I was just wondering if we removed the ISL's from McData 1 will McData 2 win the election to be the new principal without having to make it principal before removing the ISL.

Forcing it to Principal ahead of time is probably the safest route though.

Thanks!

External Moderator

I would set the NEW one first as principal, and then remove ISL.

before begin with disconnect ISL, check with command show principal if the new become Principal.

don't forgot to set the Principal with value 1

details are as well descripted in a CLI Guide

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.