Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

On our brocade switch, one port is not connecting to the server. I can reach the server with the wwn

We have an esxi host connected to two FC brocade switches . We just replaced the Mezz FC adapter.  This is a Dell M620 blade in a M1000 chassis, with a pass-through module . One hba works fine, the second is not connectingto the brocade siwtch.

I cleared the errors on the brocade switch and rebooted the server. I see see the following errors now

48 bad eof

2100 enc out

46 disc c3

1 link fail

1 loss sync

1 loss sig

Portshow shows :

Lli: 15

Proc_rqrd: 23

invalid word: 2142

invalid crc: 1

delim_err: 4

Lr_in: 2

Lr_out: 1

Ols_in: 1

Ols_out: 2

The port WWN of the server's hba is correct

I connected the FC cable to the other brocade switch and hba, and it works fine

I switched the SFPs out on both ends.

Any ideas? Could it be problem with the blade Chassis? Pass-through module? blade MOBO ?

Brocade Moderator

Re: On our brocade switch, one port is not connecting to the server. I can reach the server with the wwn

Hi,

to recap - one connection is working when connecting to switch1. 

OK: hba1 -> passthrough -> cable1 -> sfp1 -> switch1

The second connection when connected to the switch2 does not work.  

NOK: hba2 -> passthrough -> cable2 -> sfp2 -> switch2

Then you connected the fc cable to other switch and hba, and it work. Did you

A:OK: hba2 -> passthrough -> cable1 -> sfp1 -> switch1

or

B:OK: hba2 -> passthrough -> cable2 -> sfp3 -> switch1

or

C:...

If it is (A), then I would suspect sfp2 @ switch2, or cable2

If it is (B), then I would suspect sfp2 @ switch2

You are running at 8G and if this is a 8G switch, what is your fillword setting (portcfgfillword)?

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

Re: On our brocade switch, one port is not connecting to the server. I can reach the server with the wwn

Thanks for the response !

i used the hba2 cable for HBA1

so,,,

HBA1 => SFP1 => cable 2 => SPFP1 => switch 1

That seemed to verify the cable is good

I also switched out both SFPs

The port speed on the switvh  = 8 GB.

How do I verify the fillword?  (portcfgfillword seems to set the fill word)

Occasional Contributor

Hi.

Use the cmd "portcfgshow portnr" for to verify the fillword.

Eg:

switch:admin> portcfgshow 27
        Area Number:              27
        Speed Level:              AUTO(HW)
        Fill Word(On Active)      2(SW Idle-Arbff)
        Fill Word(Current)        2(SW Idle-Arbff)

Which switch models do you have?

If it is not visible in the list after running the cmd, you are probably on a 16Gb switch.

With the Condor 3 ASIC, the 16G platform autodetects which fillword it should use .

Regards

Ulf

Occasional Contributor

This ports are  set to 8 GB

ANd the fill word = 0(idle-idle) onall the ports

except for the one I was looking at , which I had changed to 3

Occasional Contributor

looks like enc in, crc err, crc g_eof, too short, bad eof, enc out., and disc c3 are all increasing once I enable the port

frames      enc    crc    crc    too    too    bad    enc   disc   link   loss   loss   frjt   fbsy
       tx     rx      in    err    g_eof  shrt   long   eof     out   c3    fail    sync   sig
     =========================================================================================================
  0:    1.3g   2.3g   0      0      0      0      0      0      0      6      0      0      0      0      0
  1:    3.2g   4.1g   0      0      0      0      0      0      0      2      0      0      0      0      0
  2:   57.4k  29.2k   0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
  3:   57.4k  29.2k   0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
  4:  460.2m 394.2m   0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
  5:    1.8g   1.8g   0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
  6:    0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
  7:    2.2g   2.3g   0      0      0      0      0      0     79      0      0      2      1      0      0
  8:    0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
  9:  328.0m 144.7m   0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
 10:  176.3m 166.8m   0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
 11:    2.9g   1.1g   0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
 12:    2.8g   1.1g   0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
 13:   16.6m   1.3k  35     72     23      8      0     85    698     32      0      2      4      0      0

Occasional Contributor

Sorry for the delay,

We have a Switch Type 71.2, which appears to be a model 300 16 port 8 GB switch

All the ports are set to "0"  for the fillword.

All ports appear to be working well except for this one.

Since we have replaced the SFPs and verified the cable is good, are we looking at the Blade Chassis, blade itsself, of the pass-through module? as the culprit ?

Brocade Moderator

Hi,

with a 8GB switch, if not said otherwise by the vendor of the device at the other end, set fill word to 3 (portcfgflll port,3).

From the output above in porterrshow, it really looks like you have a physical issue - sfp, cable, sfp, or pass through. You have a verified the cable, and did you also take the sfp from  the "bad" connection and put them in the "good" connection. 

Another test would be to move the "good" connection on the switch, to the port of the "bad" connection. 

If everythings work when swapped (from "bad" to "good"), it leave the passthrough..,.

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

Thanks,

Yea, I have not tried moving everything form the "bad" to the "good". That sounds like it will pinpoint the issue.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook