Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Old 4Gb Storage in a 8Gb Fabric

Hello everyone,

I am using 8Gb HBAs in my servers with 8Gb switches and 8Gb storage arrays and everything is fine (single initiator- target zoning). Now, I have the chance to include a old but large 4Gb Storage using the same zone pattern, but I am not sure if my HBAs will distinguish between the 4Gb and the 8Gb storages. I mean, I guess the HBA will use 4Gb link speed when accessing the 4gb storage and 8Gb link when accesing the 8Gb storage. Am I right?

Regards

Eduard.

Brocade Moderator

Re: Old 4Gb Storage in a 8Gb Fabric

Hi,

your HBA will be running at 8GB as it is connected to the switch at 8GB. It will not switch down to 4GB when talking to the 4GB storage. The switch which is sitting between the 8GB HBA and 4GB storage, will be receing the frames at 8GB from HBA and send it out at 4GB to the storage at 4GB. And vice versa for the other direction.

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
New Contributor

Re: Old 4Gb Storage in a 8Gb Fabric

I see. Thanks for the quick and clear answer! 

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.