Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

New in Brocade 4100...need help please.

Hi All,

I'm new to SAN specially to switches and need help from whoever is familiar with these product.

I have a Brocade 4100 with 32 gigabit ports. Currently I have 16 SFPs installed. I want to connect the switch to DS3400 with two controllers.

My scenario is, I want to use four ports connecting to DS3400. TWO ports on Controller A and TWO ports on Controller B and I want to make those two ports as etherchannel so there will be two etherchannel in total one going to controller A and one going to controller B. I've been reading documents about the Trunking ISL feature of the switch but don't know how to actually do the configuration. I understand that I need a trunking license installed in the switch before I can configure it. But after I obtain the license, can you please show me the ways on configuring the way that I'm suppose to configure it, or if you have good documentation please give me links.

Thank you so much for your response.

Super Contributor

Re: New in Brocade 4100...need help please.

You have to merge the SWs first:

pls follow the procedure:

in 4100 set ip address, do a FOS upgrade which is compatible with ds3400, set the timezone, disable the SW:

> islshow

> trunkshow

>switchdisable

>switchstatusshow

>cfgdisable

>cfgshow

>configure

set the fabric.ops parameters to the exactly as DS3400(from admin log in take the out put of configshow)

only change the domain ID of 4100 from default 1 to any between 1-239

after setting the fabric.ops parameters , then enable the sw

>switchenable

>reboot

then take one port group of 3400 and  1 portgroup of 4100(0-7/8-15 etc) then connect the fibre cables one by one and see through switchshow, islshow, trunkshow.trnuking license should be installed in both the SWs.

For more pls find the pdf

if you find it helpful, make the thread correct

Occasional Contributor

Just one addition to Hemant list of commands:

The cfgclear command was omitted which gets rid of the defined configuration, so the list should read:

cfgdisable

cfgshow

cfgclear

cfgsave

configure

...continue witch Hemant procedure.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you guys for your replies, I appreciate it. I just finished upgrading my FOS to 6.2.1b. I have one more issue. After upgrading to FOS 6.1.0a it already gave me a warning that 85% of the flash is being used already and the state is of Flash Monitor is MARGINAL. But pushed through 6.2.1b and got warnging that 93% of flash memory is already being used, and when I pushed to 6.3.0 I got an error that the switch doesn't have enough memory to put the new FOS. I have tried the commands "supportftp" and "supportsave" like I saw in many forums but it didn't help me at all, or maybe I just misused it. Is there a correct way or steps to use those commands?

Thank you again for your response.

Occasional Contributor

Hi Hemant,

You said below.....

"then take one port group of 3400 and  1 portgroup of 4100(0-7/8-15 etc) then connect the fibre cables one by one and see through switchshow, islshow, trunkshow.trnuking license should be installed in both the SWs"

Does this mean that after the FCs are connected to DS3400 the portgroup is created automatically? Is there a need to name to portgroups like in cisco etherchannels?

Thank you so much.

Contributor

I think people are talking at cross-purposes. As far as I know, the DS3400 is an IBM disk array, not a switch. The array has two controllers each with two ports. LUNs have a preferred controller but are capable of trespassing to the other controller if necessary (such as a failure in a controller).

If I understand correctly, Richardimus is trying to do the following:

Using a single fabric SAN (at least with respect to this disk array), he wants to aggragate throughput of the two connections from the switch to a given controller on the array (repeated for both controllers).

This is not possible. ISLs concern only connections between switches. Here we have a switch and an array. Trunking only concerns ISLs and here we are not talking about ISLs.

Normally, such an active/passive array would have ports A1 and B1 connected to one fabric and ports A2 and B2 connected to the other fabric. This gives maximum high availability.

I hope this clears up some points.

Alastair

Occasional Contributor

Hi a.adamson. I just figure out that is my scenario. now there's a change of plan, we are now using two SAN (Brocade 4100), each SAN uses 2 ports to connect to DS3400 controllers A and B respectively.

Isn't it possible to make those two ports connecting to the Controller A as etherchannel to increase throughput?

Same situation for SAN 2 going to Controller B.

Thanks for the clarification.

Super Contributor

No its not possible to TRUNK the two ports as you would imagine. You cannot combine 2 connections from switch to storage and get better throughput.

To better the performance you will have to distribute the LUNs on 2 ports, with IBM storage this depends on how you zone the host and storage ports.

The set per fabric would be something like this

Fabric 1

HostGroup1

{

HostHBA1

DS3400portA1

--

LUN1

LUN2

}

HostGroup2

{

HostHBA1

DS3400portB1

--

LUN3

LUN4

}

Fabric 2

HostGroup1

{

HostHBA2

DS3400portA2

--

LUN1

LUN2

}

HostGroup2

{

HostHBA2

DS3400portB2

--

LUN3

LUN4

}

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Biju Krishnan

TechHelp24

Email: bkrishnan@techhelp24.com

Site: www.techhelp24.com

Contributor

Using two switches, as two fabrics, is definitely a good move as it enables connectivity to be maintained should a switch go down.

However, connecting both ports of a controller on the DS3400 to the same switch is not so good an idea. In order to maintain connectivity if a processor fails, you would have to mask LUNs to all four ports of the array. Apart from doubling the work, this also complicates the possibility of spreading load evenly over all ports.

In answer to your question, no you can't aggregate the bandwidth to a node. It can only be done on ISLs between switches.

Alastair

Super Contributor

Oh Jesus, I was wrong wrong wrong, answering the query. IBM DS3400 is a Stoareg and it is very old, I was thinking it is a SW.Biju is right.Adamson is also right.

Now that you hav egot 1 more 4100, then connect CNTL1 to 4100-1, CNTL2 to 4100-2.If all the servers have 2 HBAs, connect HBA1 to 4100-1, and HBA2 to 4100-2.Map the LUNs to controller 1 and 2. DS3400 has active / passive controller, i.e. for the particular L-dev one of the cntl is prefered cntl and when that fails it goes to the other.

For best I/O flow, you can connect the controller and Host HBAs in a portgroup. Increase of BW is not possible as stated by Biju and Adamason , the way you are planning

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook