Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

New User - Forum Introduction

Hi All,

My name is Jason Lamb, and I've been a Brocade Solutioneer, (kind of like a Technical Marketing Evangelist), since February of 1999. I recently volunteered to spend time in the Brocade Communities, focusing on the Data Center SAN message board. That means that in the future, in between content creation projects, and event presentation duties, you should also be seeing posts from me, here.

In addition to being another person available to answer some of the support questions that get asked here, I'd like to introduce additional threads, in order to discuss future trends in the data center, as they apply to FC SAN. My first thought of topics would include discussing the impact that the network convergence and cloud debates, are having on you and your FC SAN infrastructures. So bear with me, as I seek to engender another level of discussion in these forums.

Along those lines, I'd be curious if anyone had thoughts on whether it would be a benefit to have sub-boards within the Data Center SAN message board. I'm not sure if they can be created with the software, but I thought it might be useful to subdivide the boards into sub-boards, such as;

Data Center SAN

Core SAN Switches (DCX, Directors)
Edge SAN Switches, (Fixed port, 1u/2u, switches)
Fabric Operating System (FOS)
SAN Extension Technology
FICON SAN Technology
SAN Design
Future Trends

Or do you think that things ok as they are?

Thanks,

Jason

Regular Contributor

Re: New User - Forum Introduction

Hi Jason,

might be useful to add these as tags for classification, but sub-forums generally won't work I believe, because many questions will cross these artificial borders.

Suppose I have a suspected FOS problem on DCX with FX blade only, is that "FOS", "DCX" or "Extension" topic?

Glad you've joined.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the welcome Linar.

I too thought that it was difficult to separate these conversations into sub-categories. I actually went back and forth on even the example categories I suggested, even before I posted my previous message. However, I think that things can be better organized than they are now. (Perhaps someone has a better suggestion of sub-categories).

For example, if I want to get a discussion thread started on future trends for FC, or what do architects think the impact of 16 Gpbs FC will be, it will get thrown into the same forum where folks are trying to figure out what a specific error message means, or how to configure specific FOS features, etc. As you know, this will end up frustrating those folks looking for threads answering specific support questions, as well as frustrate folks looking to participate in the higher level, "future trend", types of discussions.

Now that I think of it, perhaps we need just one additional forum for Data Center SAN - Future Trends. I don't know. Anyway, I'm curious to hear what others think about this as well.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply,

Jason

External Moderator

Jason,

I've suggest at several time to divide all this technology, and you are right that some are confused for a NEW member to find.

Another problem is, that some member are not willing to search in the Community for appropiate answer to they problem,

it is faster to Opened a new threads.....

...and some other are the opinion to Post the same problem at several Time, like this One here from yesterday

http://community.brocade.com/message/16871#16871

http://community.brocade.com/message/16868#16868

http://community.brocade.com/message/16866#16866

http://community.brocade.com/message/16867#16867

I'm since 7 years here, and all that give me the Imput to Open my own Community.

I know that already are enough Community and Forum in the web but I'm the opinion to open another Art of Community.

Last week say Andreas Bergelt to me, I've created in my Community to much Sub-Forum,

but today according you new opened discussion,

--->>>...but I thought it might be useful to subdivide the boards into sub-boards, such as;

confirm my Idea to subdivide all this Plattforms Technology, OS Release, SAN Design and much more, are exactly the methode for a Community  and what any user is looking for.

Another Interesting Feature is, we work at the moment to Build a Seach Engine, - I've called this DSE = Defect Seach Engine - which allo to search for "Error and Defect" / "Reported and Closed" in the OS, and I hope we can put this in short Time Online.

And I have still more in the next Step.

Cheers

Antonio

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Antonio,

Thanks for your post. I agree with what you stated, in that if we don't have an easy to use organization of the forums, it leads to confusion, cross-posting, and other unwanted behavior. I really like the organization, and features, of your forums, as well as the features you have planned.

I'm also going to see if I can get the board admins here to reorganize things a bit better. If anyone else has additional suggestions as to how best to organize the forums here, please feel free to add to the thread.

Jason

External Moderator

Jason,

--->>> I really like the organization, and features, of your forums, as well as the features you have planned.

Thanks for statement and you are welcome.

BTW, my Community is since last week Online and I'm continued to work on diverse Features.

--->>>I'm also going to see if I can get the board admins....

As mentioned, I give in the past enough Imput, and AFAIK Brocade is planned to Re-Design / Reorganised this Community,

about that I got on 03/23 a e-Mail from Community Manager.

Antonio

TechHelp24
Super Contributor

Hello Jason,

As someone mentioned before. Everything is related together.

Creating more technical sub sections will confuse -- this is my opinion.

Many people do not know where the problem came from so it is difficult to find the correct sections where to post a message.

It make sense to create Future Trends section where Brocade discuss new feature or even listen to users which features are needed or needs to be improved.

I hope this helps,

Andreas

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook