Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

New Sandbox: New to FC

Hello, all.

I'm working on getting more SAN education under my belt so I'm working on putting together a sandbox to play with. I've got presently a EMC VNX 5200 sitting around gathering dust, 3 HP DL360p G8 hosts, and a Cisco C3850.

I'm looking at purchasing

3x Brocade 1020 CNA cards, 1 for each host

1x MP-8000B FCoE/FC Switch

1x C3850-NM-2-10G (to provide 10gb from the Cisco Switch to the Brocade Switch)

And all the needed transceivers, DACs, and cables.

I figured the rough (and I mean MS Paint-rough) topology will look like the attached picture.

I ran this by someone who knows a hell of a lot more about the VNX, FC, and FCoE than I do and he said it wouldn't work. That the VNX 5200 would need to attach to a FC switch, and that FC switch would connect to the MP-8000B, basically acting as a bridge. Does not the MP-8000B act as it's own bridge, between the FC ports and the FCoE ports?

Who's right? I know configuration is going to be a lot to learn to get it all right - and I'll be back - if it'll work at all as I've thought it through.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

External Moderator

Re: New Sandbox: New to FC

@combatchris

--->>>I ran this by someone who knows a hell of a lot more about the VNX, FC, and FCoE than I do and he said it wouldn't work. 

the statement is incorrect.

--->>>That the VNX 5200 would need to attach to a FC switch, and that FC switch would connect to the MP-8000B,

you can add between VNX and Brocade 8000 a native FC Switch - example Brocade 300 - but is not mandatory and not required for a simple reason, the Brocade 8000, have 8x native FC Port, with exact the same features as the Brocade 300 / 5100 except Access Gateway wich is not required.

In feew word, VNX -> FC over Ethernet trought the -> 10G Port on Brocade 8000 to -> 10G LAN in you design the Cisco.

Concerning the Cisco Switch, I'm not sure if this is compatible with the Brocade 8000, but should work....

in conclusion the answer is:

Yes, you design work!

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Re: New Sandbox: New to FC

That's great news, thanks for the quick and clear response.

Not all of this is going to be sandbox - some will simply be moving existing in office servers which have their own local storage into a 10gb environment. For 99% of the connections in this office, it doesn't mean anything, but for the MDT (Microsoft Deployment Toolkit) server which we use to image all of our workstations, having 10gb of bandwidth to be split out to up to 12 1gb links is going to be a lot better than just 1gb link feeding all 12.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions when it's config time - I've found so many of the manuals and guides so far.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook