Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Moving cables to another blade on a DCX

I need to free up a blade.  Is it just a matter of doing a portdisable, unplug and plug it in to the blade next to it?  I have verified I have redundant connections on another fabric.  Anything I need to do on the servers or blade chassis switches?  (Some of these are trunked ISL's) 

External Moderator

Re: Moving cables to another blade on a DCX

generally you can move one cable from one port to another port - by wwn based zoning at any time, but this is not clear to me

--->>> (Some of these are trunked ISL's) 

is the cable you want to move a connectivity I.E. HBA, or is this cable member from the trunk Group ?

keep in mind trunk must be member of same Port Group,

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

A few are E ports - ISL from Brocade 5470's. We have 2 switches in each blade chassis, one cabled to one fabric, one cabled to the other.  If I remove one E port cable, traffic continues on the other, correct?  Then I move the other.  Does trunking stay intact because they are coming from the same ports on the chassis switch?  They are port 0 and port 15 on the chassis end.

External Moderator

Ok, in you case you can disconnet and move the ISL cable from the one Blade Switch 5470 and plug to another DCX port blade.

you can do a port disable, but this don't have any advantage because as soon you disconnet One of both ISL/Trunk member Port 0 or 15, you hgave for short time on this blade traffic interruption.

But if you are confident that the second 5470 is full redundant, you should don't have any impact in the Fabric.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.