Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Migration from Old Switches to 6510

Hi, we are in the migration phase and moving out servers from Old switches to 6510.  Few of the servers are running on 2GB HBA's and the 6510 does not support these HBA's with the 16Gbps SFP's on them.

1) Upgrade the HBA

2) Replace the SFP's with 8Gbps SFP.

Is there any alternate apart from these two?...

Thanks,

Siva

Super Contributor

Re: Migration from Old Switches to 6510

I would think the answer honestly depends on your environment and the particulars of what the end goal is.  If you wish to take advantage of the 16 Gb speed, then it has to be the HBAs.  If you purchased the 6510s already and come with optics, it only makes sense to upgrade the HBAs IMO.

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
New Contributor

I agree with you Mike.  End goal is migrate from old the EOSL switches and I do not want to wait for the HBA's to get upgraded which will take some time.  My target is to migrate the servers to these new switches (6510) and paralelly work on Upgrading the HBA's.

Is there any other option to put these 2GB HBA's on these switches without replacing the SFP's?.

Super Contributor

Unfortunately, no.  Limitation of the SFPs I'm afraid.  The only other thing I could suggest would be to to a lower speed switch in the middle as this could, in effect, act as a bridge between 2 Gb HBAs and the 16 Gb 6510.  If one is available, check the release notes for compatibility.

Regards,

Mike Eversole
New Contributor

Sure, will check.  Thank you.

Occasional Contributor

According to the specs on the 6510 from the Brocade web site:

supports 2, 4, 8, 10, or 16 Gbps speeds in an efficiently designed 1U package.

So according to that, you should be good to go

---- walter

Super Contributor

That is correct Walter, 6510 does support down to 2 Gb speeds, but the 16 Gb SFPs do not.

Regards,

Mike Eversole

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook