Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Migrate a clarion CX700 on a switch 5300 from a switch 4100.

hi,

as i said in the title, i have trouble migrating a clarion CX700 on a switch 5300.

the situation is :

two fabric ( symmetrical):  on each fabric i have three switch 4100 ( FOS 5.3.0),5000(5.3.0)  et 5300 (6.3.1a)  .

the CX 700 is connected on each fabric on the switch 4100 ( zoning WWN).

there are approximatively 40 AIX servers which are in 5.3 and 6.1, connected to the 4100 and 5000 and have access to the lun of the CX700.

in this configuration everything is working fine, the objectiv is to migrate the server and storage which are on the 4100 to the 5300 which is empty actually.

The first test was to migrate some server from 4100 to 5300. the  migration worked perfectly.

but when i started to migrate the CX700, i started to have weird problem.

for exemple i migrate the path SPA  Port 0, then for ALL the server this path is dead. but when i connect to the switch i can see that i got the WWN of my clarion on the right port, and the zoning set is active in the fabric, so there shouldn't have any problem by simply disconnect and reconnect the fiber.

if i migrate back, everything is back to normal, i noticed that i have a lot of "invalid word tansmitted", i don't understand why the WWN is up and the path is down?

Any idea?  thank you very much for your help.

Valued Contributor

Re: Migrate a clarion CX700 on a switch 5300 from a switch 4100.

Any idea?  thank you very much for your help.

Yes it's an OS limitation.

In some OSses like HPUX and AIX the DID and or PID is used in the hardware path.

As you experienced first hand, the path dies when you move the target (ie storage).

I don't know much about AIX, but i found a link in some other thread which might be usefull

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/aix/v6r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.aix.prftungd%2Fdoc%2Fprftungd%2Fdynamic_tracking.htm

Your certainly not the first who as been asking about this behaviour.

Eli
Contributor

I assume that you aren't using multi-path software, so any way the migration is distruptive.

Try to remove the hdisk's, move the storage port, and then find new disk from new port.

To remove the disk you use the command (for example): rmdev -dl hdisk0

Before doing it- you need to offline all your VG's and etc...

Is the aix's are boot from san? if not, it even easier... you just remove the disks, and then find them from new port by cfgmgr command.

Occasional Contributor

hi,

after a few test, it appears that dion.v.d.c  is right, the limitation is on the OS side.

the link he gave me is talking about the dynamic tracking which must be to yes in order to allow migration of the clarion fiber.

ALL the AIX server have this parameter to "no".  We did a few test, and with the parameter to yes, it works perfectly.

so we are going to change this parameter on ALL the server. I precise that the easiest way to apply this parameter is with smitty  and then reboot the server to apply.

We even test with another clarion, and the bug was the same, and the solution was the same too.

@shlain.e   :  all the server use powerpath, so the migration was supposed to be not disruptive, but with the parameter change it is disruptive.  the AIX don t boot from SAN, and we prefer reboot the server to make the config the cleaner possible.

To finish, in all the server AIX, the right configuration is :

delayed_fail  paramter to yes

fast_fail parameter to yes.

hope this will help.  thank you for your help.

Occasional Contributor

hi i would like to know if this limitation exist for the OS below:

-Windows

-Linux

-Vmware

thank you for your help.

Valued Contributor

-Windows

-Linux

-Vmware

-no, MPIO solves this for you and Windows only cares about the disk signature

-no Multipath Deamon shoud solve this for you but I'm not sure

-possibly I once had to move a storage port to another switch and all ESXses showed it as death afterwards. Rescanning resolved this, but this was 4 years ago.

Occasional Contributor

hi,

thank you very much for your answer ! it was a great help !

Occasional Contributor

hi,

i have another question, i know this maybe not the best place to ask.

The aix server did well with the dyntrk to yes.  but three of them continued to show path as dead, path which doesn't exist.

In fact all the normal path were OK, but there were two more path on fscsi0 described as dead. that only a powermt check and save base could erase.

but sometimes the process powerpath hang, and make impossible to continue , impossible to kill the process in fault ( kill -9 does not work)

any idea?

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Why don't you open a ticket with the vendor?

I assume they are happy to help you.

Regards,

Ed

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook