Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Merging separate fabrics

Hi all,

I've searched the forums for an answer, but the questions asked seem subtly different (or I've misunderstood something, equally possible) so I though I'd ask mine.

I have three SANs, all three of which consist of two fabrics, each fabric with their own zoning DB. Many (most) devices will have connectivity to both fabrics in the same SAN, but there are no devices that have connectivity on more than one SAN. In effect, we have:

SAN_A_Fabric_A     ¦     SAN_A_Fabric_B

SAN_B_Fabric_A     ¦     SAN_B_Fabric_B

SAN_C_Fabric_A     ¦     SAN_C_Fabric_B

So I have servers that connect to SAN_A_Fabric_A and SAN_A_Fabric_B, but I don't have anything that connects to SAN_A and SAN_B.

Due to a revisit of the design of some of the services that use these SANs (VMware, SQL clustering etc.), we've decided to merge the three SANs together, to create a larger dual-fabric SAN.

My query is therefore around the requirements for the zone merge process. I've read that the zone configuration needs to be identical for any devices on the fabrics, but does this mean that the aliases and zone pairs from Fabric_A on SAN_A and SAN_B and SAN_C would need to exist on all three zone DBs, or just that any devices that exist on one or more need to be configured with the same alias on each?

Also, is there a compatibility matrix that might show which switch hardware can co-exist in a fabric with each other - two of the SANs use HP-branded Brocades (including 4/24 c-class interconnects) and one uses EMC-branded Brocade (including a 300 "connectrix" switch) - would like to understand if there would be any issues linking them all up?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook