Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Merge two Virtual Fabrics on a Brocade DCX Core FOS V6.4.1a

I need some advice on Merging two Virtual Fabrics on a Brocade DCX Core Switche.   For this discussion I will refer to two virtual fabrics as "VF_UNIX_55" and  and "VF_NT_54";  the VF_NT_54" virtual fabric has ISL's from 3 Edge Switches (2 X Brocade 4900, Brocade 4100).  The VF_UNIX_55 virtual fabric has an FCIP Link via (HP MPR400 --> GIGAMAN LINK --> HP MPR400 --> Brocade 5000 32port/4GB edge.  I'd like to merge the VF_NT_54 fabric to the VF_UNIX_55 fabric with the least amount of disruption as possible.

Super Contributor

Re: Merge two Virtual Fabrics on a Brocade DCX Core FOS V6.4.1a

What is your driver to merge them?

Keep in mind that you have and FCIP link in one fabric. Issues on this link will affect all others.

It could help if you post some more information about your DCX configuration.

Think if you can use FC routing between both fabrics instead of merging.

Regards,

Andreas

New Contributor

Re: Merge two Virtual Fabrics on a Brocade DCX Core FOS V6.4.1a

Both the VF_NT and VF_UNIX virtual fabrics need access to the same storage.  Our Sotrage Teams just merged, and we are going to start to use each other storage.  Primarily, Isoliin File, EMC Clarion Block, HP XP24000 Block, IBM DS8700 Block & CKD, IBM DS3500, HP EVA 8100, HP EVA 8000, and IBM Storwize.  Initially, the virtual fabrics were created to provide boundries for the UNIX OpenSystems Server's and Network Administration (VM  and Windows).  Were in the process of installing 2 FCIP Blades to replace the current HP MPR400 (Multi-Protocal Router) solution to extend our other FICON fabric, and will also be used for access to our DR Data Vault.  If there's specific config information I can provide, please let me know..i.e.  I forgot to mention, we use an 8-node IBM SVC (San Volume Controller) and we will be virtualizing a most of our Block storage San's.  We also have plans to ADD 2 additional SVC's at our DR location.  Thank YOU!

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook