Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

McData 4500 switch help

Hello.

I am new to SAN and would like to teach myself by setting a little SAN environment at home. I have bought McData 4500 switch off eBay, then I bought several Finisar's GBIC modules. I tried to register a serial number of the switch with Brocade, but I am getting automated replies that it is not a valid serial number... 

I am at a loss on where to get the management software!? The manuals refer to "Element Manager" or SANavigator software. Is there any place online where I could get trial editions of that software? Or buy a used copy of SANavigator, since it is no longer supported...

Thank you for your help.

Slava

Contributor

Re: McData 4500 switch help

How about using the integrated BUI?  If you point your browser at the 4500's IP address, it should launch the BUI which can perform just about all functions of the switch.

Depending on the firmware installed, the BUI is referred to "EFCM Basic" or in older versions it was called "SANpilot."

New Contributor

Thank you, JayMike3.

I was able to find out the IP address of the switch, by using Wireshark, and now I am able to open a telnet session or a web page of the switch!!

The problem that I am facing now - I do not know the admin's name nor the password. I used the reset button (holding it for 10 seconds), but I am not sure, if it did reset the user name/passwords to their defaults... Is there another way to reset them?  What are the defaults?

Sincerely,

Slava

Contributor

The old 4500 Install & Service Manual is still available here:

http://mcdata.com/downloads/tpub/imanual/4500serv_ism_eos_eosn91.pdf

In there (page 2-1) you will see the default login is "Administrator" and the default password is "password".

If the password has been changed, then you should be able to go into the serial port and reset it (see info starting at page 2-30).  Once you've established a connection to the serial port, login by entering the password of "level-2" (also seen on page 2-1).  After logging in, if you type "help" you should see an option for "PSWD_RESET" which is what you could run to reset the passwords back to default. 

But hopefully they are already at default and you won't need to reset them.

-j

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook