Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Masterless Trunking

We have a couple of DCX-4S (DC-04 HP branded) with 4 ports set as a trunk.  One of the ISL's has eveloped a fault and has had to be replaced.  When we tried to enable the port some of our servers when completly haywire.

What is the best solution in getting this link back up and running.

Would we need to remove the port from the trunk then enable it or completely remove the trunk and add each of the four ports back into the trunk.

By the way the port numbers are 42, 43 , 46 and 47.

Another issue is how do I enable masterless trunking, or at least find out if its enabled ?

regards,ngc

Valued Contributor

Re: Masterless Trunking

Hi,

When the port went faulty, it was automatically removed from the trunk. I would disable the affected port, replace the faulted hardware and enable the port. The port will join the trunk withouth disruption.

AFAIK, ISL masterless trunking is an feature available in FOS 7 (not in FOS 6) and it is always active.

Rgds

Regular Contributor

Hi felipon,

masterless trunking has been availble for years (since 48K is out) :

Numbers Don't Lie - Directors Trunking

"Masterless trunking has been available since 2004 when Brocade Fabric OS 4.4 was released. Brocade trunks are self-forming and self-healing requiring no configuration."

But you are true, it's always active and we cannot disable/enable/modify it.

Kind regards,

--

david

Valued Contributor

Hi David,

That it's true, but just in part, masterless trunking was developped years ago but only for F/EX trunks. Until FOS 7, if the master of an E-Port trunk fails, the whole trunk will go down until it reconfigures. Now, with FOS 7, E-port trunks are masterless.

Rgds

Regular Contributor

PLease have a look at the document below :

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/white_papers/48000Architecture_WP_02.pdf

"Brocade has significantly improved frame-level trunking through a “masterless link” in a trunk

group. If an ISL trunk link ever fails, the ISL trunk will seamlessly reform with the remaining

links, enabling higher overall data availability."

I understand that masterless trunking is also for E-port (= ISL) since 48K/Condor ASIC. Maybe my understanding has been wrong for years

Kind regards,

--

david

Valued Contributor

Hi,

On the one hand, I've seen issues involving a master port failure, provoking a traffic disruption. But on the other hand, the whitepaper you posted indicates that with Condor2 ASICs, a trunk is masterless...

I have been looking for documentation about it and It isn't until FOS 7 Admin guide that Brocade explicitly shows an E-port trunk as masterless (there is no explicit reference to this point in previous releases). So what I am going to do is upgrading my switchs to FOS 7 and any doubt this will disappear.

Rgds

Regular Contributor

eheh

I agree with you, I don't really know what means "Trunk master" as shown in switchshow or trunkshow if we have masterless trunking ... but it's still shown in the same way in 7.0.2  :

mysw02:admin> version

Kernel:     2.6.14.2

Fabric OS:  v7.0.2

Made on:    Thu Aug 16 23:09:13 2012

Flash:      Fri Oct 19 15:35:53 2012

BootProm:   1.0.9

8   8   1f0800   id     N8   Online      FC  E-Port  10:00:00:05:33:aa:0a:47 "mysw01" (downstream)(Trunk master)

9   9   1f0900   id     N8   Online      FC  E-Port  (Trunk port, master is Port  8 )

Kind regards,

--

david

New Contributor

Many thanks to for the detailed information.  My FOS is v6.4.2b, which means I will have to upgrade to v7.0.X so that I wont get any distruption when the master moves back down to port 42.  I have in the mean time removed port 42, from being part of the trunk as well.  I was however informed by a colleague of mine, that masterless trunking came in at FOS 6.2 and above.  However looking back at the issues I got, I'm not sure if my FOS was at 6.2 when we tried to enable the new link.  At least I now have a plan of action.

regards,ngc

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook