Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Managing zone set in heterogenous Brocade/McData fabric, Interop 2

I have been able to successfully join two Brocade switches (6.1.0c) to a four-switch McData fabric (9.7.02) and would now like to zone the switches. However, I'm not entirely clear on how to proceed. The McDatas are in native mode and I have implemented hard zoning, by domain/port, rather than by WWN. The McDatas can't manage the Brocade, but the Brocade wants to copy the fabric zone set, and seems to think that I can modify it on the Brocade and push it back to the other switches. Is there any documentation on managing this type of fabric? If not, how is the zone set handled when one or the other switch type makes a change?

Thanks.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Managing zone set in heterogenous Brocade/McData fabric, Interop 2

I've found it in the 6.1 FOS admin guide, from the Software Releases portion of the support site.

New Contributor

How things turned out for you? can you please share your experience and offer some advise? I am about to do the same what you described.

Occasional Contributor

The main thing is to get the software versions correct. For McData I went to 9.07, on the Brocades to 6.1.0c. After that I set the Brocades to the right features for my McData environment (McData native, no default zone) and they connected without a problem. After importing the zone set, it seems that I have to manage from the Brocades and push to the McDatas, the opposite doesn't work. Search my other threads, there is a link to some other vendors where you can get the firmwares, I believe it was HP and Intel that had them for their blade switches.

You'll need to go several steps with the McDatas to get up to code, so I would advise getting every version of code between your current version and 9.07. The updates were non-disruptive to the fabric at all levels.

H.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook