Fibre Channel (SAN)

Highlighted
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Long Distance Trunking (wiht ISL) over 2 diffrent paths

Hi, I have two different paths (9 kms - 2 links and 16 kms - 2 links) to connect to my secondary data center. Current connectivity scenario is like this: In Fabric A , Switch A at primary data center connect to Switch B at secondary data center via two same length paths which is 9 kms (trunk + ISL). In Fabric B , Switch A at primary data center connect to Switch B at secondary data center via two same length paths which is 16 kms, trunk + ISL too. Pairs of links in particular fabrics are trunked. And it works fine for now.

I wonder if is it possible to change this configuration to achieve more bulletproof (redundant) infrastructure?

I mean, configure two different paths (9 kms and 16 kms) like this: In Fabric A, Switch A at primary data center connect to Switch B at secondary data center via two different paths which is 9 kms and 16 kms. I like to trunk these links, so 9 kms act as master and 16 kms as slave so during link failure seamless fail-over happen. So I can have Fabric B with switch A at PDC connect to Switch B at 2nd DC via two different paths, which in this case 16 kms as master and 9 kms as slave.

Is it even possible to trunk 9 kms and 16 kms as one set so 9 kms act master for Fabric A and in other trunk set 16 kms as master for Fabric B? If is it possible, how can I do it? Through customizing BB Credits? What mode need to be set then: LS or LD? 

Contributor

Re: Long Distance Trunking (wiht ISL) over 2 diffrent paths

The maximum supported difference of shortest and longest members in a trunk group is 400 meters.

New Contributor

Re: Long Distance Trunking (wiht ISL) over 2 diffrent paths

Thanks! I did not know that. It saves me a lot of unnecessary work.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.