Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎12-02-2008

Licenses Transfer

Hi all,
I have a doubt.

if I have a client with a switch, for example, a Brocade 5300 with 80 active ports, ie, a base switch with 48 ports and two POD and if I need to replace this switch.

Question: I need to take into stock a unit with the same number of ports or a base unit with 48 ports and when I transfer the licenses POD enable the other ports?

Alvaro Luna

Super Contributor
Posts: 635
Registered: ‎04-12-2010

Re: Licenses Transfer

Hi Alvaro Luna,

I am not sure if I understand you right.

Following statement is important for you: You can't transport the license from one SAN switch to another box. Each license is bound to the WWN of the switch.

In your case I would say you have to put a fully licensed switch in your stock. Or buy maintenance contract from your OEM or Brocade. Then they will bring in a replacement and transfer the license in case of a hardware replacement.

As far as I know is this process is not possible without any maintenance contract.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,


Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook