Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

License Port

Hello guys;

i have a question, i have a switch DS6620B Brocade and use #switchshow

Index Port Address Media Speed State Proto
==================================================
0 0 020000 id N32 No_Light FC (POD license not assigned or reserved yet)
1 1 020100 id N32 No_Light FC (POD license not assigned or reserved yet)
2 2 020200 id N32 No_Light FC (POD license not assigned or reserved yet)
3 3 020300 id N32 No_Light FC (POD license not assigned or reserved yet)
4 4 020400 id N32 No_Light FC (POD license not assigned or reserved yet)
5 5 020500 id N32 No_Light FC (POD license not assigned or reserved yet)
6 6 020600 id N32 No_Light FC (POD license not assigned or reserved yet)

what does it mean, i need buy the license for x port, or i need enable something, because when i use licenseport --show 

#licenseport --show

48 SFP-based ports are available in this switch
16 QSFP-based ports are available in this switch
No Ports on Demand license is installed
No Q-Flex Ports on Demand license is installed
Dynamic POD method is in use

24 SFP-based port assignments are provisioned for use in this switch:
24 SFP-based port assignments are provisioned by the base switch allowance
0 SFP-based ports are assigned to the base switch allowance or installed licenses:
0 ports are assigned to the Ports on Demand base switch allowance

Thanks and Regards.

Brocade Moderator

Re: License Port

Ok, my opinion the dynamic DPOD method is a real hassle, because the license will be assigned to ports as they come online. That means, if the switch goes down, and comes back up, you MAY not have the same list of ports online that you had when it went down. So, not a fan of dynamic.

Anyway, if you leave it in dynamic, you can release and reserve specific ports according to the ports you want to use. First, go through and release all ports so none are reserved:

>portdisable 0-47

>licenseport --release 0-47 (* all your ports are now released from the DPOD list *)

>licenseport --reserve [port#]  [port# - port#] ( * will reserve one port, or a range of ports, up to the limit of your DPOD license which is 24 *)

portenable [port#] [port#-port#]  (* enables a port or range of ports which are in the DPOD range above *)

Now, no matter what happens to the switch, the defined reserved ports will always take a license spot, and no matter which port comes up when, you will always have the same ports reserved for use.

If you want to use MORE ports, then you would need to buy an upgrade DPOD license, and the configuration rules would remain the same after putting the license key on your switch.

You can try to set the method to static, but not sure if your platform will work in static mode:

>licenseport --method static   (* requires switch reboot *)

All of the symbols after 'licenseport' are a double dash "--", not a single dash.

Good luck!

doc

Any and all information provided by me is for entertainment value and should not be relied upon as a guaranteed solution or warranty of mechantability. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a concern about data loss, or network disconnection, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, Please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook