Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

LSAN EX_port

n00b question here..

We have acquired a set of 6510's and configured them into 2 separate fabrics. All is happy here.

Now we would like to add an additional 6510 in another building, with ability to assign storage to devices running on this additional unit, but do not want it to be part of the main fabric.

Am I correct in thinking that we need to use EX_Ports on these 2 units? If so, why is it greyed out in the port type options?

Thanks in Advance.

Valued Contributor

Re: LSAN EX_port

Sorry, you need to have FCR license and enable FCR service.
Occasional Contributor

Thanks alexey.stepanov

Is there no other way to acheive this? Are you talking about an LSAN?

What at the alternatives? I presume just extending the fabric is one way?

Kind Regards

Contributor

[ Edited ]

FCR mean follow.

In your fisical switch must be 3 kind of logical switches - default, base and logical.

All base switches must be in the common fabric, then you have different way:

1. If logic switches on different fisical switches have the same FID, through base switches built LISL. And logic switches start merge in fabric with common fabric services.

2. If logic switches on different fisical switches have the different FID and you want make routing to communicate devices from different fabrics you must do the following. On each base switch configure even one port as EX_port, make fisical connection between logical switch and configured port in base switch. In logical switch this port become as member of fabric, look like switch.

And in all fabrics which devices you want communicate (routing) you must make special LSAN zones.

It in general....

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply, but i am not sure i understand!

Valued Contributor

> Are you talking about an LSAN?
Yes, sure, that's about LSAN. EX ports mean setting up FCR and using LSAN zones, nothing else. For more details, please read "Using FC-FC Routing to Connect Fabrics" chapter of the FOS Admin Guide.

> What at the alternatives?
The only alternative is a stretched fabric with long distance links in the middle.
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many thanks.

I've done a diagram of what we are trying to achieve.

We already have FAB A and FAB B but we are potentially adding many of SITE A to this which will need a connection to the storage connected to the main. We want to do this without merging FAB A or FAB B with SITE A etc.

See example here... http://imgur.com/gallery/QTfTFTG

Contributor

LSAN designed for other purpose.

It critical for use, if your fabric have many switches (you need separate traffic, hardware, fabric services).

And you have limited communication between equipment, for example, on different sites.

In you case you can make common fabric of two sites and don't worry. Smiley Happy

Occasional Contributor

Ok after much digging, I have found the solution to this and didn't want to be the guy who didn't share it incase somebody else with this issue stumbles across a forum post with no solution!

So,

On the primary switch which has Virtual Fabrics enabled, I had to create a "Base" (Backbone) Virtual Switch and add the FCR license in order to create an EX_Port.

1.Firstly we must create a base "backbone" Virtual switch in order to create an EX_port which will allow routing;
switch_128> lscfg --create 10 -base

I have used an FID of 10 - The Virtual switch with my devices on is FID 128 (which is the default for most switches)
2.Now Set the context to the new Logical Switch:
switch_128> setcontext 10
4.Disable the Logical Switch:
switch_10> switchdisable
5.Configure the switch attributes, mainly assigning a unique domain ID:
switch_10> configure
6.Enable the Logical Switch:
switch_10> switchenable

You can get a 60 day trial of the FCR license from here if it's HP Branded Brocade stuff (it's up to £10k otherwise!!);

https://h20392.www2.hpe.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=BROCADETRIAL

I then assigned a port (18) to the Base switch which was connected to my switch in the other building;

lscfg --config 10 -port 18

Now, change context to the BB switch
switch_128>setcontext 10

Enter the portDisable command to disable any port on which you want to set the router port cost.
switch_10> portdisable 18

Enable EX_Port or VEX_Port mode with the portCfgEXPort or portCfgVEXPort command.
switch_10> portcfgexport 18 -a 1

Enter the portEnable command to enable the ports that you disabled
switch_10> portenable 18

You then have to create a zone on both switches with the prefix "lsan_" 

Ok, at this point I thought I had figured it out and was expecting to see devices logging in. But alas, no.

It took a long time more digging and asking questions to figure out that there must be a link from the Base virtual switch to the virtual switch with the devices on it.

So, I had to assign another port to the base swtich and enable it as an EX_Port, then connect a Fibre Cable between this port and another port in the other virtual switch, basically like a loopback cable but between 2 virtual switches.

It was at this point that everything sprung into life.

I hope this helps somebody else out, this feature (FCR, IRL Fibre Routing) doesn't appear to be used much, probably because of the stupidly high license costs and the few actual use cases, along with the ease of just doing a fabric merge!!

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.