Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

L2 connectivity through brocade silkworm 48000 fiber channel switch

Hi, I am new to brocade world but fimiliar with cisco, I have a little query, our company bought silkworm 48000 fiber 3 days ago, I managed to get the webmanagement as well as telnet, the question is I have another fiber switch and initialy I want to connect 4 port of silkworm 48000 with that switch and I want to carry vlan 207 via trunk in between both switches, is it possible ?  can someone guide me as this switch is totally linux base and I am not good with it :/

also is this switch cabapble of layer 3 routing as I saw in web managenet some advance option but did not get it.

please forgive me if I asked anything stupid as I am new to brocade Smiley Very Happy

Thanks in advance.

Kindest regards,

Uzair 

External Moderator

Re: L2 connectivity through brocade silkworm 48000 fiber channel switch

--->>>also is this switch cabapble of layer 3 routing..

Brocade 48000, is a SAN Fibre Channel Switch and not a Ethernet Layer Switch.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Ok thx, but can you please advise about layer 2 connectivity through trunk ? 

Thanks in advace.

Uzair

External Moderator

Layer 2 on 48000 is not supported, neither with nor without truning

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

so what I understood it is simply a hub where I can connect my SAN devices and they will transmit high speed data from 1 to another through its fiber port correct ? actually we already have Brocade 300 switch and it is connected with our VMWARE, what we want to is that connect 4 more host and interconnect with brocade 300 as its port are full.

Occasional Contributor

Please help me out I want to connect this switch with my brocade 300 which is fiber and add 4 more host as we are full at brocade 300, do I need to add few ports in zone or what?

appreciate your quick response and thanks in advnace.

Kindest Regards,

Uzair

Occasional Contributor

Some Fibre Channel basics:

1. One or more switches form Fabric - entity with its own services (Login Server, Name Server, Fabric Controler, etc)
  2. L2 routing is inside the Fabric and in most cases it does not requre the user intervention. Each device (HBA port on server, Target port on storage) is given the address that depends on the switch and port# it is connected to. 
  3. Frame routing is based on FSPF protocol (described in standards) with some additions from Brocade (DLS, DPS).
  4. Zoning is used to prevent the broadcast of all traffic from Fabric services (not Data traffic). The idia is to send useful info only to device it is interested in.

48000 is far away not Hub.I t's hard to describe its functionality in small post. Think it is blade-based switch. 

If your task is simply connect more devices than the 300 could allow, then:

1. Сonnect 48000 to 300
  2. Connect Devices to 48000 
  3. Make appropriate zones (Server port, storage port)

P.S: be aware that you could get issues with Fabric merge (48000, 300) in case of zones conflict, Domain IDs conflict, etc 

Frequent Contributor

Uzair,

I don't want to be disrespectful but I think you should really get either some decent training in this material or have a service provider with good knowledge have a look and design and manage your storage fabric. Fibre-Channel switches as the 48K have NOTHING to do with any sort of ethernet technology.

Secondly I don't know where you bought this 48K switch but I assume it might have been sitting on a scrapheap somewhere in e-bay as this switch has been end-of-sale for over 5 years and will be end-of-support with Brocade and every OEM as of January.

Even though I always want to help out people I will not in this case as I deem it far to dangerous to provide any help in such circumstances.

Kind regards,
Erwin van Londen
Brocade Distinguished Architect
http://www.erwinvanlonden.net The Fibre Channel blog

Occasional Contributor

Dear Erwin:

first of all I appoligize if I said anything in my previous post which showed some despretion, indeed I need to training in this material and I will consider your kind advise being positive, yes you are right one of our MO bought this one from ebay as he deals in sales and I believe he did not check the requiredment, I just came to know that it is been marked EOS 5 years ago, bad luck for us however I still believe there must be some way like we use trunk interface in ethernet/fiber technology to carry multiple vlan(s) data through one port, with my little understanding I believe it could be done through zoning but I am unable to find any metirail through internet, my current 2 brocade 300 are in default zone (nobody created any zone in them and they are connected with VM).

okay lets take it this way if I create 1 zone on 48k and put 10 ports in it how can I intergrate these 10 ports on brocade 300 ? do I have to make another zone their? appreciate if you can provide me any authentic document or video to do that Smiley Happy

once again I am sorry and I take my words back.

Kindest Regards,

Uzair

External Moderator

Uzair,

forgive me and I'm sorry to say that, but you're really a hard nuts!!!

--->>>... I still believe there must be some way like we use trunk interface in ethernet/fiber

what you believe is another story, and the reality is another one.

The 48000 and 300 are Fibre Channel SAN Switches, and work beetwen a Storage Area Network.

continue, you wrote:

-->>...my current 2 brocade 300...

where are this both 300 connected ?

wht kind of HBA= Host Bus Adapter is connected here ? HBA are native SAN FC Card, this have nothing to do with Ethernet layer2 or similar.

is a Storage attached on the Brocade 300 ?

can you please create a list of all component with exact Part Number, Vendor Name, Models and post here ?

can you create with Visio a Draw of what consist this Environment with all hardware ?

To make a long story short, if you insist to connect any Ethernet Component to the Brocade 48000 or 300, the answer is definitively

NO!

such a config is not supported and not work, because such Plattforms are no Layer2 Plattforms.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.