Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Isl and Trucking rules

Hello All ,

I am working to architect a drp site and i need help of you guys how to reserve isl ports to my dr site . I have one fabric core edge on the a side and having two directors on the b side to becoming just only one fabric , what are the rules to reserve isl ports for that fabric . I got a tape library using 8 drivers lto4 on that site.

Any comments will be really appreciated.

Valdir from Sao Paulo Brazil

External Moderator

Re: Isl and Trucking rules

Bouenos Dias Señor!

--->>> what are the rules to reserve isl ports for that fabric

Which ISL Ports ? Want you to attach the LTO direct to the both Director's ?

And what they mean with "....drp site" and "....dr site" ?

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Good Morning From São Paulo.

The scenary is

I got two directors on the Disaster Recovery Site . I have I library with 16 LTO4 FC Drivers. Each drive has just only one fc connection, so I was wondering to split 8 connection for each director , besides that, I have 27 servers that will go to backup files thru lan free solution and each server has 1 HBA.

I need your help to determine how many ports I need to do the isl trucking and what is the ratio fator recommended on this scenary.

4:1 or 7:1 . This director is a 4Gb/sec and it is going to be a unique fabric.

DR = Disaster Recovery Site (b) site ,

Could you help me on that ?

Thanks in advance

Valdir

External Moderator

Valdir,

ok, think i have understand what you will realized!

Just to make sure we speak of the same thing, "Trucking" i assume you mean here "Trunk or Trunking", is correct ?

If you have per each LTO Drive one FC Port, i would Connect 4 Port to the Director A and 4 Port to Director B, without trunking, and if you have Free Port on different Blade each this Drive/Port to different blade in case any blade defective.

Reason, any Trunking don't make sense by Disaster Recovery, because the LTO don't have a data throughput higher this 4 GB Pert Port, and with Trunking thus becomes the Recovery also not faster in this case.

This is my experience!

--->>> .....and what is the ratio fator recommended on this scenary.

--->>> 4:1 or 7:1

I think you mean here the Port Oversupscription ? if yes, this depend by the Blade , are here 16, 32 or 48 Port Blade ?

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Re: Isl and Trunking

Thanks Tech24 on the previous response

I catched your explanation regarding the trunking and spliting the lto drivers for both directors that I have.

Just one point remaining , Well I got 8 blades with 48 ports each , at this point 27 servers more coming ....

Regarding I have 16 lto drivers and those ones going to be splited 8 and 8 for each director , just in case to have trunking , what shall be the right port oversubscription ? 2:1 , 4:1 ....

I very interested to learn how I can do the ratio calculation .

Thanks in advance Valdir

Boa Noite desde São Paulo.

External Moderator

Re: Isl and Trunking

Valdir,

--->>>.....what shall be the right port oversubscription ? 2:1 , 4:1 ....

This is a good question, i think ( i'am me not 100% sure* ) in this case by the FC4-48 Blade, you have here 2:1 Oversubscription or less , but only if you connect this beetwen Port 0-15.

Reason, Port 0-15 have same Characteristic the FC4-16 and 32 Port Blade's 1:1 , the Remain Port 16-47 are shared Port.

*I don't work with 48 Port Blade, because i think and this is my opinion, Quantity is not same as Quality, and don't have here a Big Experience.

--->>> I very interested to learn how I can do the ratio calculation .

Will see i can find any example and Post here.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook