Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Is zoning required when Access logic is in place?

Is zoning required when Access logic is in place?

I know that EMC/Brocade recommends zoning, however without zoning will host can access LUNs which is assigned to the respective storage group.

Valued Contributor

Re: Is zoning required when Access logic is in place?

That depend on if the default zone -allaccess is set or not.

However I recommend you to use zoning.

I've attached a zoning best practice which i found in another thread (http://community.brocade.com/message/17518#17518)

Occasional Contributor

I know open zone is not recommanded but i just want to know whether the host can access the LUNs which is assigned to the respective SG. And also what needs to done on a brand new switch (please explain the default zone setting). 

Valued Contributor

About default zone you'll be looking at the defzone command.

Try help defzone for syntax and explination.

Whether a host can access a LUN depends on LUN masking/presentation being set for that host.

With allaccess set its no longer a zoning issue as all nodes are able to see each other.

Mind you, allaccess requires that no zone config is enabled.

Regular Contributor

Zoning is not only about preventing unauthorized LUN access. In fact, it has nothing to do with LUNs. It's about preventing unnecessary node-to-node communication.

Zoning is higly recommended in all but very basic scenarios because it limits control traffic such as State Change Notifications in transitional and recovery states.

Zoning also limits failure domain, so that when your backup application tries to recover a failed tape drive it won't affect your disk array running critical production application.

Linar

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook