Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

¿Is the 'HARD zoning' an automatic or manual event?

My M5424 switch events:

Info    Port 9 (0x9) enforcement changed to Session-based HARD Zoning.    Switch    661    1    ZONE-1004    wienfcswa   

Info    Port 4 (0x4) enforcement changed to Session-based HARD Zoning.    Switch    668    1    ZONE-1004    wienfcswa   

There are no errors in the switch side, but the hosts (2 Blade servers) loose the connected LUNs.

I want to know, Is that event a manual change in the Zone Admin or it was due an automatic situation?

We have a lot of switches, 2 Fabrics and maybe segmented switches

Valued Contributor

Re: ¿Is the 'HARD zoning' an automatic or manual event?

Those messages are informational only.

If you want to get rid of them then check if the mentioned conditions apply.

The zone has a mix of WWN and domain,index (D,I) members.

The Source Identifier (S_ID) list of the hardware-enforced

zoning exceeded the S_ID limit

Those informationals popup every time you enable a zone configuration

That you have a lot of switches, dual fabric, and maybe segmented switches doesn't necessarily have to be the trigger for such messages. One zone containing both DID,PID and wwpn will result is such a message.

That said if you have segmented switches I suggest you fix that ASAP

New Contributor

Does that INFO message means that somebody "enable" or change a zone related with this WWN? or somebody created an alias with the same WWN?

In that case, of course there are another administrator making changes in another site, affecting this fabric.

I dont understand if this is not a warning/error, why those servers lost the paths for the given LUNs

Valued Contributor

That INFO message appears everytime a config is enabled with zones that match the criteria.

Who enables the config is not imported.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I dont understand if this is not a warning/error, why those servers lost the paths for the given LUNs

I didn't state that because this is an INFO message those server should not lose connections.

There must be a reason like another admin changing something or a segmented switch or perhaps you come across a bug.

To get to the root cause you need to what is going on in your fabric, get support involved or troubleshoot yourself.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook