Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Is 48000 standby CP reboot disruptive

I have 2 x  Brocade 48000 director switches and I need to upgrade the FOS. The one switch had both CP's on 5.3.0b. The upgrade went without any problems. The other switch is a different story. One CP0 is on 5.0.1a and CP1 is on 5.3.0b. I don't know how this happened. I think that when the switches were installed the upgrade must have failed on the one CP0 and worked on the other CP1.

When I tried the upgrade I had the same problem. CP1 worked, CP0 did not. After lots of hours I found the problem. It was a ftp server problem. CP1 found the .plist file without any problems, but CP0 repeatedly said it cannot get the .plist.

Eventually I directly connected my laptop to the CP0 and setup a FileZilla ftp server on my laptop. This worked without any problems. I used firmwaredownload -s which only upgrades one CP. In this case CP0 is standby and CP1 is active. So I have found to a way to upgrade CP0 which is the standby.

Now my question: After I ran the firmwaredownload -s command, I selected not to reboot the switch after the frmware is downloaded. I was afraid the whole fabric would go down. Can I run the reboot command on the standby CP without desrupting operations on the 48000? Will reboot only reboot the standby or both switches? Will I loose connection on my hosts while the CP reboots.

I want to upgrade CP0 to the same as CP1 which is 5.3.0b and then run the firmwaredownload on the active, without the -s option, and continue to upgrade to 6.4.2b.I have already downloaded all the levels, v5.1, 5.2, 5.3......v6.4.

Any help would be appreciated.

Pieter

Valued Contributor

Re: Is 48000 standby CP reboot disruptive

If you connenct directly to the Standby CP and execute a 'reboot', only the Standby CP will reboot. The Active CP or hosts won't be affected unless there is another underlying issue in the switch.

New Contributor

Re: Is 48000 standby CP reboot disruptive

Thank you for the reply Felipon. Yep I have tried this and successfully upgraded the Fabric OS on the 48000. The reboot only reboot the CP that I was on.

Thanks again.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook