Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Invalid Transmitted Word count > 750000 after 12 hours. What could be wrong?

Hi all,

I've recently installed a large Sun StorageTek SL3000 tape library in one of our data centers. My existing fabric consists of 4 * Brocade Silkworm 200E's running FabOS 6.2.0c. The two new switches, for the SL3000 are Brocade Silkworm 300's. They are also running 6.2.0c.

I have an ISL's running from these switches to the old switches (entirely different data centres). The run is around 80m, maybe 100m max. As a result, I am using shortwave Brocade SFP's for my ISL links.

I'm experiencing problems connecting to my SL3000 robotics control (a SCSI-FC interface into the fabric). After zoning it into the relevant places, so that my HBA's can "see" the SCSI-FC library, I started to think things were wrong when I saw this, on our Solaris 10 hosts:

Jul  3 22:02:43 storehost     Failed to create nodes for pwwn=500104f000ae7688; error=0
Jul  3 23:08:49 storehost scsi:      Target 0x620200: Nonzero peripheral qualifier: Device type=0x8 Peripheral qual=0x1
Jul  3 23:08:50 storehost scsi: WARNING: /pci@7b,0/pci10de,5d@e/pci10df,fe00@0/fp@0,0 (fcp2)8:50  scsi: WARNING: /pci@7b,0/pci10de,5d@e/pci10df,fe00@0/fp@0,0 (fcp2)

At this point, I went in search of a reason Solaris may be misbehaving, but just haven't been able to find one.

Looking at the port on one of the Brocade 300's that runs from the Library FC interface back to the FC switch, I see > 750000 "Invalid Transmitted Word" errors on said port after only 12 hours.

Can somebody shed some light (har) on what this might actually mean?

If I look on the ISL ports, then look on the port that goes to the HBA zoned into, on the 200's, I see similar "Invalid Transmitted Word" errors, albeit, nowhere near as many.

Hardware problem? Software problem? Should I be running 6.2.0g instead? Start yanking SFP's and Fibre?

Thanks for your time.

z

Frequent Contributor

Re: Invalid Transmitted Word count > 750000 after 12 hours. What could be wrong?

HI Jake

>I have an ISL's running from these switches to the old switches (entirely different data centres). The run is around 80m, maybe 100m max. As a >result, I am using shortwave Brocade SFP's for my ISL links.

Hi Jake

Does these  fiber run's go through any distrubtion panels , I know I had some dark fiber runs on campus which went through some of these on campus , so our two single run's worked out to be 1km. (I only found this out from the main Comms guys on campus)

Try a porterrshow on each of your 200e were your fiber run's if you see any of the following errors it usally means a physical hardware issue , i.e your SFP or fiber cable.

enc inc

crc err

too shrt

bad eof

enc out

In regards to SFP's I bought the following ones from our local Sun guys (Sun part Number (xsfp-lw-4gb-4pk-z) this allowed me to get both end of the ISL to syn up at 4GB.

Hope some of this info helps you out.

David

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook