Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Interop mode 2 to 0 Brocade Native Mode

Hi, All,

There are diverse technical documents and blogs describe the process of moving from Interop Mode 2 or 3 to Interop mode 0 which is the Brocade Native mode. None of them was complete enough to be of any use. I have assembled following as the process to do this migration. Appreciate if you can validate this process.

Assume we have dual fabric SAN and multiple McDATA switches and multiple Brocade switches in each fabric. And also assume each fabric spans across two data centres. Now that we have decommissioned all the McDATA switches and remaining is only Brocade switches all running on Interop mode 2. We need to migrate to native mode.

Process 1;

On fabric A Data Centre A

1. disable the DWDM (or CWDM) links inter connecting the two data centres ( to avoid any interruptions propagating to data centre B)
  2. switchdisable all the switches in fabric A and data centre A
  3. Download the Zone database
  4. Use a zone database converter tool (Is there any Brocade tool to do this?) to convert the zone database to Brocade Native mode
  5. Perform interopmode 0 on the principle switch - this will clear the zone database and restart the switch.
  6. Upload the converted zone database to principle switch
  7. for all other switches perform interopmode 0 and let restart the switch. This will restart and get the zone database from the principle switch

On fabric A Data Centre B

1. switchdisable all the switches in fabric A and data centre B
  2. enable the DWDM links to connect the data centre A
  3. perform interopmode 0 to convert to native mode and restart the switch. This will get the zone database from principle switch in data centre A
  4. Do the interopmode 0 to all the switches in sequence

Repeat the same process for fabric B.

Now can anyone please verify the above process. What are the tools available to do the zone database conversion. Or if we are not to do it can we have the Brocade Native mode and Interop mode 2 switches in the same fabric and can the native mode switch get the zone database from a running interop mode 2 switch. If thats possible the process should look like this.

Process 2;

On fabric A Data Centre A

1. disable the DWDM (or CWDM) links inter connecting the two data centres ( to avoid any interruptions propagating to data centre B)
  2. switchdisable a switch in fabric A and data centre A
  3. Perform interopmode 0 on the switch - this will clear the zone database and restart the switch. And the switch should get the zone database from any of the interop 2 switches (remember this is the first switch so there is no other interop 0 switches in fabric).
  4. for all other switches, switchdisable and perform interopmode 0 and let restart the switch sequentially. This will restart and get the zone database from existing interop 0 switches

On fabric A Data Centre B

1. switchdisable a switch in fabric A and data centre B
  2. Perform interopmode 0 on the switch - this will clear the zone database and restart the switch. And the switch should get the zone database from any of the interop 2 switches (remember this is the first switch so there is no other interop 0 switches in fabric in this data centre).
  3. for all other switches, switchdisable and perform interopmode 0 and let restart the switch sequentially. This will restart and get the zone database from existing interop 0 switches
  4. Perform fabric merge checks
  5. Finally enable the DWDM links

Your view is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Max.

Super Contributor

Re: Interop mode 2 to 0 Brocade Native Mode

Max,

--->>> 4. Use a zone database converter tool (Is there any Brocade tool to do this?)

--->>> 6. Upload the converted zone database to principle switch

this procedure is unknow to me, how they want to converted the existing Zone and then Upload now to the Switches ?

or perhaps I understood it wrongly?

Please explain me.

Occasional Contributor

Hi, ABBA,

I wrote the above procedure based on various different pieces I have collected from Brocade Documentation and the blogs here. No where I could find the process written to verify. I like somebody who might have gone through the same exercise here in the community to verify please.

Cheers,

Max.

Super Contributor

Max,

see Attached PDF in order to migrate from M-EOS to Native FOS with DCX Integrated Roting

N/A

I came here with the same question, I was wondering if there was a zone tool as well.

I guess there isn't

Super Contributor

jason,

as descripted in the How to guide, with the DCX IR Services.

Occasional Contributor

we recently converted from interopmode 2 to interopmode 0. Documentation was not helpful. Using the DCFM makes the zone propagation a lot easier.

Prepwork: Freeze the zone database in DCFM and make a backup copy of it. Its called offline repository.

Do this on the principle switch

1. persitentdisable all host/storage ports and ISL ports

2. switchdisable

3. convert to interopmode

4. all zonign information is wiped out

5. push the zoning database from the DCFM offline repository for the fabric

Covnvert the edge switches to interopmode

enable the ISL so the zone information will propagate to the edge switches

once all the switches are interopmode 0, then persistent enable the ports.

We had not done a persistentdisable, and during the interopmode conversion we had issues where hosts/storage saw each other even though default zone was set to noaccess

Hi all,

having the same problem, i'm looking for solutions. So just a hint (no solution :-(

==> Step 3. Download the Zone database

In FOS there is the command "cfgSaveActiveToDefined".

Description Use this command in McDATA Fabric mode to move the effective zoning configuration to the
defined configuration database. If the Defined Database contains a configuration with the same
name, it is replaced. Any nonduplicate zone sets or zones remain unchanged.

Why not:

- do a cfgSaveActiveToDefined on one switch in Datacenter A, Fabric A

- configupload from this switch to a workstation

- set switch in Native Mode (switch will segment) and configure (Domain ID etc.)

- configupload only zoning to this switch and enable

- set Native Mode on the other switches as described...

Description Use this command in McDATA Fabric mode to move the effective zoning configuration to the
defined configuration database. If the Defined Database contains a configuration with the same
name, it is replaced. Any nonduplicate zone sets or zones remain unchanged.

Will cfgSaveActiveToDefined convert the effective (McData Fabric Mode) zone config to something Brocade Native Mode will understand?

Regards

Ralf

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook