Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Inter Fabric Connectivity

Dear Community Members,

I have to migrate data from Clarion to VNX. The catch here is that arrays are connected to two separate fabrics. I understand I can utilize EMC's Open replicator to achive this. I am wondering if there is any way, I can establish the connectivity from the switch end between two fabrics so that VNX (destination array on fabric2) can see the Clarion(source array on fabric1)

Any suggestions or pointers in this regard will be greatly appreicated.

BR,

Rahul

Valued Contributor

Re: Inter Fabric Connectivity

[ Edited ]

In general terms you could merge both fabrics into one.

But the feasability depends on licenses and interoperability matrixes between the switches (firmware), array's and whatever else is connected.

If you are talking about array to array copy ask EMC, you also could have the host handle it by zoning hosts to both array's and map luns, then use dynamic volumes,xcopy,rsync,tar,lvm,md,etc to migrate data .

New Contributor

Many Thanks for you response.

Merging fabrics is not an option for me as both the arrays are meant to  be on different fabric. Is there any means by which I can establish any connectivity between the fabrics so that both the arrays can be zoned and can see each other?

BR,

Rahul

Valued Contributor

FCR is also an option, where the fabric are independent but you introduce a backbone fabric for routing.

This also requires a license and/or addtional switch, but that would depend on the budget at hand

Highlighted
New Contributor

Is additional switch a must?

-Rahul

Valued Contributor

No if you have a switch that supports Intergrated Routing (8Gb platform and above), but you do need a license

New Contributor

Hi Rahul

If you have implemented FC-FC rounting  pls share the implementation plan .

Regards

Gautam

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.