Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

ISL trunking between Brocade 4900 and DCX-4S Director

Hello Team,

I am new, and please I would like to share your experience in ISL trunking.

In our DataCenter, I have a Brocade DCX-4S. I would like to extend my fabric to a second data center far from 200m. Between the two data centers,  We have fiber repeaters called ODF (LC-SC fibre), responsible for taking the signal from one end to the other of the two data centers. And the type of fibre link is singlemode. I now need to know which SFP to choose for my Switches(4900 and DCX-4S) to enable the communication.

1) My goal is to create ISL trunking (8 links) between my Brocade 4900 and my DCX-4S Director. Is it possible ? since the Brocade 4900 is 4Gbps and DCX-4s is 8Gbps?

2) If possible, my concern is to order some SFP, monomode compatible or Brocade 4 Gbit/sec LWL 4 km SFPs, please advice !!

3) Finally, please is it possible to have a guide for ISL trunking ?

Waiting your feedback,

Thank you in advance

Valued Contributor

Re: ISL trunking between Brocade 4900 and DCX-4S Director

Hi,

In response to your queries:

1) My goal is to create ISL trunking (8 links) between my Brocade 4900 and my DCX-4S Director. Is it possible ? since the Brocade 4900 is 4Gbps and DCX-4s is 8Gbps?

Yes, it is possible. Both will work at 4Gbps

2) If possible, my concern is to order some SFP, monomode compatible or Brocade 4 Gbit/sec LWL 4 km SFPs, please advice !!

In the following link, you can find the Brocade Transceiver support Matrix (although 4900 does not appear in the matrix, it uses the same 4G SFPs)

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/matrices/SFP_Matrix.pdf

3) Finally, please is it possible to have a guide for ISL trunking ?

In the Fabric OS Administrator guide, available in the download section of my.brocade.com, there is a chapter that explains how to configure ISL trunking.

Rgds

Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much for your answers.

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Can I use Multi Mode Fiber (MMF) cable like OM3 (LC connectors), to get my brocade Switches/Directors connected to the ODF, knowing that the ODFs link is single-mode optical fiber.

Contributor

Stef

This is generally not recommended. You will have significant light loss between the single mode (9 micron) to MM (50 micron). This will effect your signal quality and ability for the network to perform as per design over this distance.

Valued Contributor

Hi,

I completely agree with , in fact, i thought that doing that could not even be an option...

Rgds

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook