Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

ISL connection setup

I am attempting to link a Brocade B5000 to a McData 3232 across a service provider link (fiberman).

I have updated the firmware in the 3232 to 09.06.02 and set the B5000 Interop Mode to McData Fabric.

We have been unable to establish the link across the server provider so I brought the B5000 to the

local site and was able to establish the link.  Need to verify that I have the right settings and transceivers

in the switches to successfully use the service provider link.

Here is the 3232 port info:

Identifier  SFPConnection Type  LCTransceiver  Shortwave LaserDistance Capability  Intermediate  Media  Multi-Mode 50, 62.5 micrometerSpeed  1 Gb/sec-2 Gb/sec

Here is the B5000 port info:

Media Form Factor: SFP   Connector: LC    Wave Length: 850 nm   Long Distance Mode: L0:Normal  Port Type: U-Port   Allowed Port Type: E,F,L

The service provider has told us that their link is 850 nm.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,  Terry

External Moderator

Re: ISL connection setup

Terry,

Shortwave Transceivers are 850 nm, this is correct.

Is this your question ?

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Yes, I did want to verify that a longwave transceiver is not required.  Other than that the link still does not come online

with the current connections and configuration.  Of course, the service provided says that their portion of the link is active

and ready to go.  So I need to be sure that all the port defs in the switches are good.  E.G. Is the distance sitting in the

B5000 Ok at L0:Normal correct?   If there are any other config settings that might be critical need to be verified.  That info

would be helpful.  We have also checked our patch connections to the vendor equipment and those are all good.

Thanks, Terry  

External Moderator

Terry,

--->>> Of course, the service provided says that their portion of the link is active and ready to go.

Is probable that the Provider Link is active an ready to go, but this don't meaning that must work.

whit Shortwave transceiver you can set a distance theoretically as max. 550 Meter.

.....but only theoetically... and not more

TechHelp24
Contributor

Have you made sure that the SFP's you are using will go the distance you are trying to span. I see the SFP's are for intermediate distance and that usually is between 5km and 15km depending on the manufacturer. I don't see what the distance of your link is or the SFP info...

Cheers...

New Contributor

I thought I verified that when the vendor told me the wavelength is 850 nm (shortwave).  Long distances require

a longwave transceiver, right?  Or are there different transceivers required in the shortwave category depending

on the distance?  My understanding is a shortwave (850) for shorter distances and longwave (1330) for long distance.

Please inform if I misunderstand.

Thanks, Terry

External Moderator

850nm = Shortwave

1330nm and 1550 = Longwave

--->>> My understanding is a shortwave (850) for shorter distances and longwave (1330) for long distance.

850 = SX is short, 1330 and 1550 = LX are long

for LX you need 9/125 μm Cabling

TechHelp24
Contributor

That is correct....Shortwave (850nm) is for shorter distances and Longwave (1320nm) is for longer distances and then there is extended long distance.

Shortwave is good up to about 500 meters as Techhelp has noted and I incorrectly stated that the intermediate distance SFP's would typically do 5-15Km (That is for longwave).

There are differences in the distances shortwave SFP's will work across depending on the make, model, speed and cabling used.

Make sure the SFP's fit the requirements for the ISL you are trying to create since it works when the switches are close to one another.

External Moderator

and if we want to be however exact,

850nm SFP work exact as below:

- With Fiber Type 50 μm Type OM2 MMF

By Data Rate (MB/Sec) 100 also when the Port is Set as 1GB , Max 500 Meter

By Data Rate (MB/Sec) 200 also when the Port is Set as 2GB , Max 300 Meter

By Data Rate (MB/Sec) 400 also when the Port is Set as 4GB , Max 150 Meter

- With Fiber Type 50 μm Type OM3 MMF ( 2000 MHz Fiber Cable )

By Data Rate (MB/Sec) 100 also when the Port is Set as 1GB , Max 860 Meter

By Data Rate (MB/Sec) 200 also when the Port is Set as 2GB , Max 500 Meter

By Data Rate (MB/Sec) 400 also when the Port is Set as 4GB , Max 350 Meter

In your Case Terry:

4 GB SFP cannot be used because the McDATA 3232 is a 2 GB Switch and 4 GB SFP are not supported.

OM3 Fiber cannot be used due a Chipset restriction whit the 3232

In order to use the 3232 ( I'm not 100% sure ) is a lng time i have work whitthe 3232, i believe you need a Optional license to use LX SFP

Again!!! I'm here not 100% sure, but can check for your tomorrow and confirm if you wish.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook