Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

ISL between 2 Brocade 300E's

Hello community,

I have 2 brandnew 300E's and need to set up a SAN infrastructure.

To get a good redundancy, I want to connect the switches and then connect the storage and the servers to each switch with one interface.

So if any of the both switches fail, my storage still remains accessible.

If then switch A fails the server remains connected via switch B and vice versa.

If I understood it right, the connection between the switches is called ISL.

It would be great if anyone can point me to a KB article or other document which describes the configuration.

Thanks in advantage and kind regards

Mike

Frequent Contributor

Re: ISL between 2 Brocade 300E's

Hi Mike

If you wish to create a highly redundant fiber channel network like you have described , then do no ISL then two 300e

s together.

Leave them seperate and connect your storage array ports and servers across the two switches. That way if you loose a switch your enviroment will still be up and running.

Good luck

David

Super Contributor

ISLs merge the SWs in a Fabric. so you will have one fabric only . As mentioned in the above thread, if you will keep 2 separate fabric, then keep both 300 separate to configure separate fabrics.connect the servers HBA1 to 300-fab1, and HBA2 to 300-fab-2. thus get  a redundant fabric , but for that you need 2 HBAs, multipathing SW also.also check the 300 sws' licenses for future use of ISL/trunks, if needed, if no futur eplans, then leave it.

New Contributor

Hello David and Hemant,

thanks for your input and explanation.

I left the both switches without ISL and connect one port of my servers to switch A and the other to switch B.

The storage processors are connected to both switches, so I get redundancy.

Thanks again and kind regards

Mike

N/A

Hi TheEsp,

i know i need to maintain 2 seperate fabrics for HA and this is what was always done...

But, just but, what happens if i were to ISL the 2 switches into a single fabric...

though a single fabric, my HA is still maintain since i have dual path HBAs, 2 san switches and multiple FE ports from the array.

i just cant see how merging 2 SAN fabrics into 1 fabric will cause any availability issues.

Can you please help enlighten me in more details?

also, suppose if i were to merge 2 switches into 1 fabric, can i ask where would the zoning table be held?

SW1 or SW2 or a copy would be held on both Switches?

many thanks ya...

Frequent Contributor

Hi prodriver

>i just cant see how merging 2 SAN fabrics into 1 fabric will cause any availability issues.

Can you please help enlighten me in more details?

If you create a single fabric even though your HBA's and storage processor's are connected to the two different switches , you could have the potiental to experience a fabric wide issue an example of this would be a bad Fabric OS upgrade , or incorrect zoning. Now that you have merged the switches together with the ISL , it will affect hosts.

If the two fabric's are spilt you are less likely to cause an outage to your whole enviroment.

Hope that makes sense

Regards

David

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook