Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

ISL - TRUNKING - How to

Techies,

Quick check:

Am about to configure a port for ISL between 12k and 48K. For this

1. we need trunking license - licenseshow

1a. NEED TO DISABLE THE SWITCH

2. portcfgtrunkport (specify a specific port as trunk port) - has to done on 48K and 12K

3. connect the 12 k switch cable to that specific port on 48K switc.

4. Then ISL is ready

I have an ISL already running between 12K and 48K i want to make one as slave and other as Master - does this happen AUTO or we have to configure this?

The ports configured for ISL should it needs to continous (1/2,1/3,1/4) or random ports(1/2,4/4,3/2) can be used for ISL ?

Please send me if you have any pdf

Many thanks

Vij

Frequent Contributor

Re: ISL - TRUNKING - How to

I have an ISL already running between 12K and 48K i want to make one as

slave and other as Master - does this happen AUTO or we have to

configure this?

The ports configured for ISL should it needs to continous (1/2,1/3,1/4) or random ports(1/2,4/4,3/2) can be used for ISL ?

Hi

From my understanding on ISL's there is no need to make one the master/slave both will carry traffic down both links. And if one fails the other kick's in you can play with FSPF which will load balance , the traffic across the links if you wish.

As to your second question about which ports to use for the isl links you should be able to use any port on the switch. I believe trunking ports requires pairs of ports to be selected on certain switch's

David

External Moderator

Hi Dishvijay,

ia m here a little confus.

->1. we need trunking license - licenseshow

->1a. NEED TO DISABLE THE SWITCH

->2. portcfgtrunkport (specify a specific port as trunk port) - has to done on 48K and 12K

->3. connect the 12 k switch cable to that specific port on 48K switc.

ISL and Trunking are two different things.

If you intend to create a Trunk, both switch beetwen the ISL-Trunk must have a Trunking License installed.

License can be installed w/o switchdisable.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

David,

Those pair of ports that we select for ISL / Trunking, whould that be in consecutive (1/1,1/1) manner or it could be random from any slot to any slot.

Thanks

Vij

Occasional Contributor

Techhelp,

I guess ISL and TRUNKING or both same, probably since we are using more than one pair or ports to connect it might have been termed as TRUNKING. But i have been googling and i dint same across ISL and TRUNKING are different. If you have any that shows let me know..if thats true then : "whats the procedure for creating ISL ?"

Thanks

Vij

External Moderator

Dishvijay,

thanks for your comment, but I cannot follow you:

they write here:

--->>> But i have been googling and i dint same across ISL and TRUNKING are different.

I do not understand which you to me to say want, I know both ISL and Trunking are different,

and I also answered to you on Sep 25, 2008 10:35 PM

and you have are written as follows

--->>> I guess ISL and TRUNKING or both same.....

That is incorrect.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Sorry Techhelp,

SILLY TYPO.

What i meant is:

ISL and trunking are SAME. never seen anyone talking about this in different way.

Well if you are saying ISL and TRUNKING are different, am trying to add another ISL to my existing switches, would like to know the step by step procedures.

Thanks again, from the time gap i guess you are from Europe, and whats your name.

Vij

External Moderator

They write here

--->>> ISL and trunking are SAME....

Many greeting to all this "anyone" here on behalf the exact definition both functions:

Inter-Switch Link (ISL) - A connection between two switches using the E_Port.

Trunking - A fabric feature that enables distribution of traffic over the combined

bandwidth of up to eight ISLs between adjacent switches, while preserving

in-order delivery.

Other Example:

Combines up to eight ISLs into a single logical trunk.....

ISL Trunking is an optional software product available for all Brocade 2, 4, and 8 Gbit/sec Fibre Channel switches,....

I'am not longer willing to comment you Post, attache find a ISL-Trunking Datasheet from Brocade wich exactely descripted the both Different beetwen Single ISL and ISL-Trunking.

BTW, they write here

--->>> SILLY TYPO.

I do not accept an offense

...from the time gap i guess you are from Europe, and whats your name.

Do you know google?

Have a nice day.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Antonio,

There has been a terrible misunderstanding. And i dint meant to OFFEND. SILLY TYPO >>> i meant my previous post as silly TYPO, because instead of using "are" i used "or", thats what i meant.

What i meant by "time gap" is i reply at my day time and i get your replies in my night time, so i thought you must be somewhere in Europe. I have no clue why my message would be such an offense, your answers where exactly the same i mentioned in my first post... i have seen terms like "ISL" and "ISL Trunking" but not separate.

Hope i was clear.

Thanks for the reply, i still have one burning question "HOW TO REMOVE THE ISL, WHAT ARE THE PREMILINARY (PREVIOUS WORK) HAVE TO BE DONE BEFORE and STEPS on HOW TO BREAK an ISL"

Sorry again.

Vij

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook