Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

ISL Between DS5000 and 3800

Hi Folks,

I am trying to setup ISL between DS5000 and 3800. What are the things that I need to take care off before setting them UP. I know the first thing is the Swicth Domain ID that we have to make sure off. All the switches should be different Domain ID's.

Here is the info of each switch,

DS5000: Fabos Version 5.2.1

switchType:     58.1

switchState:    Online
switchMode:     Native
switchRole:     Principal
switchDomain:   1

DS 16 M2: Fabric OS  Release v3.0.2a

switchType:     9.2
switchState:    Online
switchMode:     Native
switchRole:     Principal
switchDomain:   1

Are these two Fab OS version's supported to setup an ISL between them? And what are the things that I need to take care while setting up an ISL with out bringing the swicthes down as there are both storage resources and servers connected to both the production swicthes.

Any help is appreciated.

Super Contributor

Re: ISL Between DS5000 and DS 16 M2

Switch Type 9.x is the Brocade 3800 and not DS 16 M2

http://community.brocade.com/home/docs/DOC-1643

each switch must have a UNIQUE DOMAIN ID, the o/p show same ID as 1.

3800 must have a min. FOS 3.2.x to operate with 5.2.x

New Contributor

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Ok, I upgrade the FOS to 3.2.x to operate with 5.2.x. Can I change the domain ID of the swicth with out bringing them down? Since both the swicthes are production swicthes and are running resouces on it.

Thanks

Super Contributor

1 - Upgrade Fabric OS 3.x are disruptive

2 - In order to change Domain ID, the switch must be disabled "switchdisable" at this time all connectione are lost = disruptive

3 - when you change the Domain ID in a productive switch, effective config and Zone must be Re-Config now.

4 - PID must be set in the 3800 to 1 to operate with 5.x FOS

If you are satisfied with the responses please mark as 'Answered'.
If not, just let me know I can see to get more info.
I would appreciated if you rate the threads.
Thanks!

New Contributor

thanks, that was useful. I will let you know if I need some help.

Super Contributor

I think you are trying to merge 2  production Fabrics. if correct, you can not do this because you have 2 different effective configuration files. that will produce a zoneconflict. They will not be merged thorugh ISLs.This is disruptive.

The procedure is leave 5000 and go to 3800.disconnect all the devices from 3800.upgrade the FOS to v3.2.1C.do a Sanitization.switchdiasble, cfgshow, cfgdisable, cfgclear,configure, set the Fabric.ops parameters as 5000, change DID only.put configshow, check the Fabric.ops parameters are same as 5000 with different DID.do a cfgsave, cfgenable,switchenable and reboot the SW too for good. then connect ISLs.if you find E port with successful ISLs.put switchshow, you will see the config file of 5000 is on 3800 also. you have done the merging

now, connect all the devices which were connected to 3800.do reznoing of all the devices, which were there on 3800.while doing cfgsave and cfgenable,put config file name of 5000.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook