Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

IBM B24 cascade IBM B16

I have a IBM B24 switch want to cascade to a IBM B16 switch

Both Switch have turned to 6.2.0g

I found that they cannot cascade.

When I search the license of the IBM B16 switch, the license are unknown.

When I check the switchshow , it tells me the switch doesnot have fabric license.

Is the "cannot cascade issue" related to the license issue?

How can I solve the license issue? I think it is because I upgrade it from 5.X.X license to 6.2.0g, so the description lost.

But how can I obtain the license again?

Many Thanks,

Chris

Valued Contributor

Re: IBM B24 cascade IBM B16

Is the "cannot cascade issue" related to the license issue?

Yes

How can I solve the license issue?

Buy a fabric license

I think it is because I upgrade it from 5.X.X license to 6.2.0g, so the description lost.

You're partly correct, Unknown licenses are usually a license which was know in a previouw release but has no description in the current release, because its not used anymore like Zoning. Its more likely you didn't have the fabric license in the first place.

If you should downgrade your FOS it will reappear.

Occasional Contributor

Then, should I downgrade the firmware? Will the switch cascade when one of the switch is 5.x.x and the other is 6.x.x?

Valued Contributor

That is not what I meant, but if you wish you can downgrade the FW.

What I meant where two things;

1-Explaning what an unknown license could be and by downgrading you'll be able to see the description of your unknown license as it reappears

2-To cascade them you'll have to buy the fabric license as I doubt you had it to begin with.

Occasional Contributor

I bought the switch in 09, with the fabric license already. How can I download the activation code again? They never give me the transaction code when they deliver the  switch as they already add the license. I have one more  b16 switch need to cascade, it have full fabric license already. But it is 5.x firmware. What should I do to prepare to upgrade the firmware and make sure the license will not be unknown?

Valued Contributor

I bought the switch in 09, with the fabric license already. How can I download the activation code again?

Contact IBM support for this, as you have bought it from them.

You'll probably want to look at receipt or order forms to prove you already bought the fabric license.

But it is 5.x firmware. What should I do to prepare to upgrade the firmware and make sure the license will not be unknown?

If you create a configupload before an upgrade it will contain all license keys for that switch.

You can copy those keys back in the config should they get lost when upgrading.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook