Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

IBM 2005 16B RESET ISSUES

Hi, We have an old switch installed by a supplier a while ago and that we wish to connect a new tape library we bought. The problem is that no one knows about how the switch were configured. I tried to connect through the console without any success. Made the try with TIA RS-232 straight cable with DB9 connectors => I see nothing on the screen COM port settings are as follow:

•Baud: 9600 bps

•Data bits: 8

•Parity: None

•Stop bits: 1

•Flow control: None

Regular Contributor

Re: IBM 2005 16B RESET ISSUES

Easiest way would be to call the supplier and ask them about the config.

If the switch has been reset to factory defaults you could try it on 10.77.77.77/24.

This is the default ip/mask for Brocade switches.

Having said that you need the com cable supplied with the switch.

If you don't have such a cable you can take any cable with the same pinout config.

The settings you use are correct.

New Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, i tryed so many console cable with no success such as rj45 to DB9 null modem, DB9 to DB9 but still with no communication between the SAN Switch and my laptop, i have connected the USB Adapter and installed the drives but still the same. 

Please if you have Another ideia please share, i'm new in SAN environment 

Thanks in Advance

Regular Contributor

It's not the type or brand of the serial cable that is important.

If the pinout matches the way Brocade designed them it will work.

A pinout is available at http://tibbys-world.blogspot.com/2011/11/brocade-console-cable.html

A USB Serial breakout can give you some trouble.

If you can succesfully test it on a known working device , you should be good to go.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook